Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do peppers grow?

Posted by ezzirah011 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 16:31

This is the first year I am actually getting peppers! YAY!!

However, there is a bunch of bell peppers on the way, I notice that they are long, but not wide. Is that how they grow, long first then wide, or do I simply have long bell peppers? (big bertha variety)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do peppers grow?

Big Bertha is a elongated bell shape.

o

Most of my Big Bertha were a little thinner this year, maybe because they were more neglected, but then all my others were smaller this year also.

o

Ok, then I have some harvesting to do!

o

Normally, Big Bertha gets about as wide as a standard bell pepper, but much longer. It typically can easily reach 6-7" in length but I've read anecdotal reports of them sometimes reaching 9" long. In severe, prolonged drought with little irrigation, they'll stay smaller.

In a drought year, you often see malformed peppers too. Sometimes I think it is more heat-related than anything, but it also can be pollination-related. Sometimes incomplete pollination gives you oddly shaped peppers. They're fine to eat even though they may look funny. Every now and then you'll see what looks like a miniature pepper pepper forming inside a larger pepper. I think that also is a pollination-related deformity. Peppers just do odd things.

A typical Big Bertha looks like the linked photo.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Bertha

o

LOL!

Malformed peppers, it reminds me of when I harvested this past spring some carrots, radishes and cukes, and they all had a weird shape and my husband walked in and looked at them, then looked out in the garden through the window and exclaimed, "it is like the island of Dr. Moreau out there!"

LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here