Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kentucky Wonder pole beans

Posted by AmyinOwasso 6b, Owasso, OK (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 17:32

My KY Wonders seem to have petered out. Is it the heat and will they come back or can I assume they are done. Is it too late to plant bush beans? If I give up on the beans, do you pull the plants up by the roots or cut them off and leave the roots? Isn't it the roots that provide nitrogen for the next crop? Does anyone else have a hard time saying goodbye? It kills me to pull something that might continue to produce, and DH is even worse. I'm debating taking out the tromboncino to prep that bed for garlic. (I cannot belive it is SEPTEMBER!) And I'm wondering what to put in where the beans are. Yesterday DH finished 2 4 x 8 beds for fall brassisica and peas. I need to make a hoop cover to keep the bugs out and later cover with plastic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kentucky Wonder pole beans

Amy, I think my Rattlesnake beans are done but I have not removed the plants. I most often mow my plants and then till them in, but my beans are such a mess I may just pull them out and burn them beside the garden. I clean up the Watermelon bed a couple of days ago, and mowed my Purple Hulls today. My tromboncino are finished but I am not sure what I will do with the bed yet, it is just one big pile of squash bugs. I want to start cleaning the garden soon. I get impatience, wanting to get the soil ready in the spring, and then again in the fall. Working the soil is my most favorite part of gardening.

o

If they are still healthy, once it cools down they very likely will begin producing beans again. Temperatures above 90 degrees often cause the blossoms to drop, but once cooler weather returns, they'll usually bloom and form beans.

It is getting a bit late to plant bush beans. The OSU-recommended planting dates for fall beans would be Aug 10-20, with the earlier date being for the more northern parts of the state and the later being being for those of us in the southern parts of the state.

Could you take a chance and plant some now and maybe get a harvest? Well, of course you can, but there's no guarantees.

The arrival of cold weather in fall is highly erratic and fairly hard to predict. Since we moved here, our first autumn freeze has occurred as early as September 29th and as late as December 18th or 19th. Our average where I live is around mid-November. So, if this was a year when the first freeze of fall occurs in December, you'd have plenty of time to get a bean harvest from seed sown now. But, if it is one of those years when the first freeze falls in late September or early October, you wouldn't. I guess if you're a gambler, it might be worth giving it a shot.

How you handle spent bean plants is your choice. You can compost them and add the compost to your garden in a few months, or you can rototill them into the soil. Some people cut off the above-ground part and compost it but leave the below-ground part in the ground to decompose there. It is your choice.

I cannot believe it is September either, and I am ready for the weather to cool down and I am ready for the garden to die. I'm on major gardening/canning burnout and am ready to do something else with my time.

Dawn

o

What ever else is there to do Dawn?
just kidding of course.
kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here