Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Answers to Questions About A Holly Hedge

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

I received the following questions via e-mail and decided to post the answer here so everyone who is knowledgeable about these plants can respond too. So, y'all, I'm counting on the rest of you to respond, esp. if you're in the OKC area, because I am far, far south and cannot speak to which plants do well there. Here's the questions:

"I live in OKC and we are wanting to grow a dense, thick evergreen fence/screen. What do you think about yaupons--fast or slow growing and do you think they will get dense? What about the height? Can't find burfordi standard--just dwarf. What are your thoughts on Thuja's? Emerald or giant....we have full sun but will need to also grow under a very large and old Elm Tree. Can you advise?"

First of all, my location in extreme southern Oklahoma is slightly warmer than yours in OKC in winter, although technically the same zone. In addition, I rarely have the ice storm problems that y'all have had there in recent years. So, I hope any OKC gardeners will advise you there if they feel like my advice is somewhat skewed by my slightly warmer winter temperatures or my slightly more alkaline soil. (For what it is worth, my highly amended soil has a pH of about 6.8 to 7.2 but my unamended native soil is quite a bit more alkaline. My water has a pH of 8.2. I don't know about the pH of soil and water in OKC.)

I do love hollies. They are a large and diverse family of shrubs and trees and there is a holly ideal for almost any location in Oklahoma, although perhaps not extreme western Oklahoma. In the holly family, yaupon hollies are among the best landscape plants available.

Yaupon Holly is Ilex vomitoria and it is native all the way from Long Island, New York to Chiapas, Mexico and at many places in between, but primarily in the southereastern USA, including in the very southeastern corner of Oklahoma. It is widely adapted, though, and is grown in many other parts of the country where it is not native. Some people grow yaupon holly successfully in zone 6 if they have a warm protected area or microclimate in their landscape.

One caution about yaupon holly is that its' berries can induce vomiting (hence its name) if ingested by humans or some other mammals, so be careful if you are planting it around small children. (Honestly, though, I think the taste of the berries would keep a child from eating more than 1 berry, and don't think one berry would be enough to make a child sick!)

Yaupon hollies, if allowed to take their natural shape, will achieve their tall, full vase-shaped growth in 10 years, or even less if you start with larger plants. Closer spacing will give you a dense hedge and you may shear or prune it to maintain a formal hedge. Honestly, though, I prefer to let them reach their natural shape and I don't prune them.

Yaupon holly will reach a height of 15' to 25' if unpruned and a width of 15' to 20' over time. The best spacing is probably about 10' apart in an urban setting or up to 15' in a rural setting where more space is available. You can leave them completely unpruned and they will be lovely and low maintenance. If desired, though, they can be tightly pruned or sheared into formal hedges although that requires a bit of work to maintain. Or, you can grow them as an unsheared hedge and then, after several years of growth and height are achieved, you can prune them up (removing lower limbs) into a tree-form.

Yaupon hollies are EITHER male or female, so you need to decide which ones you want. And, to get berries, you need both OR, if you plant only female plants, you need to have male plants within a mile or so in order to get berries. To ensure you get females, purchase yaupons in summer or fall when berries will be present on the females (or, conversely, not present on the males). Or, alternately, look for females propagated by cuttings from established female plants.

The flowers are very small and fairly inconspicuous but bees love them. Therefore, if anyone in your family is highly allergic to bee stings, you probably should plant only the male shrubs.

The berries are usually red or orangey-red drupes that hold on the plants throughout most of the winter. The berries are very astringent so birds usually avoid them until late winter or early spring. By then, repeated cycles of freezing-thawing have softened up the berries, and in some cases may have caused fermentation to begin. At this point, the berries are more attractive to birds....and the birds are more desperate, having eaten all the sweeter berries already. In spring, you'll often see flocks of cedar waxings and other birds flocking to the hollies to consume the berries, and sometimes you'll see inebriated birds.

Yaupon hollies will grow in almost any soil, although they'll do best in well-drained loam to sandy loam that has a higher percentage of organic content in the soil. They will tolerate clay soil, but it is best to add some organic material (compost, pine bark fines, manure, humus, etc.) to the soil prior to planting. Once established, they can handle our dry summers with little if any irrigation. (It takes about 3 years for them to become that well-established.)

As far as Thujas........I don't grow them here, although I had them in Texas about 20 to 25 years ago. In Texas, the arborvitae shrubs I grew were healthy, fast-growing and quite beautiful. They had no disease or pest problems there. I know a lot of people in Oklahoma grow them especially in the northern half of the state.

Thuja "Green Giant" can be planted about 4' to 6' apart if you are looking for a hedge that will fill in very quickly. If you can afford to be more patient and wait several more years for the hedge to fill in, you can plant them about 6' to 8' apart or maybe even a little further apart. They should reach a mature height of 20' to 30' in full sun and in good soil and with good moisture. They will get about 6' wide, or perhaps up to 8'. Be sure to plant them at least 6' from a fence or building so they are not too crowded.

"Emerald Green" will reach a mature height around 14'to 16' so they will be a better choice if you are growing under power lines. Their spread is not quite as wide as "Green Giant", perhaps about 4'. They are not quite as drought-tolerant as "Green Giant" and will need a little more water.

If you need to prune any thuja, it is best to do so in the springtime right before new growth begins. If you have good soil with a decent amount of organic material (5% or higher), your thujas (and hollies too) should be able to derive all their nutrition from the soil. Otherwise, you still shouldn't have to fertilize the first year, but perhaps annually after that. If you mulch the ground underneath your hedge, and I definitely would do that, then the mulch will feed the soil as it decomposes and the soil will feed the plants. An excellent organic fertilizer for almost all evergreen shrubs is Espoma's "Holly-Tone".

Back at the beginning of my answer, I said that yaupon hollies are among the best landscape plants available, and they are. Hollies are my favorite family of shrubs and both the Burfords and Yaupons are my favorites of all the hollies. I do want to briefly address the issue of Dwarf Burford vs. Standard Burfords.

Back in the 1980s, when we and our contemporaries were young and starting out with our marriages, houses, and landscapes, a lot of people bought "Dwarf Burfords" which often were sold with tags advising they would get 4' to 8' tall and a couple of feet wide. What do we know now? To put it nicely, that was all a huge lie. Those so-called Dwarf Burfords quickly (in less than a decade) attained a minimal height of 8' to 10' and 4' to 5' wide and, after 20 years, I'd say they are closer to 15' to 20' tall and 6' wide or wider. So, stay away from the so-called Dwarf Burfords unless you actually want tree-sized shrubs. They are only about 5' shorter and slightly more narrow than regular Burfords. Having said that, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Dwarf Burfords I planted here 7 or 8 years ago and recently planted some more. However I spaced them about 6' apart and wanted for them to get tall....I have a 2-story house and wanted tall shrubs near it, not short ones. If there is a TRUE dwarf burford, it is hard to find and many that are sold as a dwarf really are not dwarf.

A highly underrated evergreen shrub that I also planted here, in this case on the north and northeast side of the house, is Southern Wax Myrtle. It is a gorgeous shrub that easily gets as tall as Burford Holly although not quite as dense. It does have lovely berries (Bayberry candles in the olden days were made from the berries of Southern Wax Myrtles, although nowadays the scents of bayberry candles are artificial) and is fast growing, tolerates almost any soil, and is drought-tolerant once well-established. I'd say it is second to hollies on my personal list of favorite shrubs.

I am a little concerned about the shrubs that will be in the shade of the very large and old Elm Tree. I think that, if the lower limbs of the tree have been pruned up and are 15' to 20' above the ground, then any shrub that tolerates shade will do well there. However, if the lower limbs of that elm are closer to the ground, then hollies probably would do better in the shade than the thujas would. That is based on my experience in Texas, and if someone in Oklahoma has found thujas to grow equally well in shade, I hope they'll let us know here in this forum.

If you have a choice of planting your hedge now or in the spring, I think it would be of great benefit to you (and the shrubs) to plant in the fall. This gives your shrubs a lot longer to get well-established before they have to face next summer's heat and that is a huge plus! Remember to keep their soil MOIST, but not soaking wet, all winter long. Younger shrubs often die their first or second winter because their roots get TOO dry and dry roots suffer freeze damage more easily they moist roots.

I hope you'll let us know what you decide, and then come back and let us know in future years how the shrub hedge has worked out for you!

Finally, I linked a list of hollies from the Dirt Doctor's website for you. It is just a really handy list and shows the diversity that exists within the holly family. He does show dwarf burfords as smaller shrubs than I've found them to be though.

When I was a young adult gardener, Texas gardening guru Neil Sperry used to advise people over and over and over again to plant hollies instead of some of the other shrubs they wanted to plant. Although I GREATLY admired and respected Mr. Sperry (and, believe me, I still do--HE IS "THE MAN!"), I kind of thought he went overboard in praising the hollies (and I hate to admit that I once thought that). Now, more than 2 decades down the road, what do I think? As in all things, Neil Sperry was 110% correct. He was right. I was wrong in thinking he was going overboard in praising the hollies. I have learned my lessons well, from both Neil Sperry and Howard Garrett, and I think hollies are superb!

I apologize in advance for the length of this post. I know it is very long. And, for those of you who keep saying I ought to write a book (and I am saying the following tongue-in-cheek), I think I just did!

Good luck,

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Holly List

Comments (15)

• aliciagreen
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

LOVE THE MESSAGE!
    One last request - What do you think of Leyland Cypress as a screen? We do like the look of a formal hedge and are fine with trimming. We would like fast if possible because we will be exposed to say the least. We are preping the backyard and going to do a little dirt work in the next 2 weeks. We can and more than likely will amend the dirt in that our yard in the back because it is hard clay. (want to plant soon!) We have a basement and in the 1920's most builders would dig up the yard and spread out the dirt in the back is my guess because the front yard has wonderful dirt in comparision. The old elm tree branches start at about 20 feet above ground. It's actually my neighbors tree from the trunk down however we have the majority of the branches. Our tree guy says it's in great shape and doing well. (dutch disease took out a ton of trees in our historic neighborhood) We are ready to purchase and plant can you please advise. I truly appreciate the time it took to respond and any words of encouragement is appreciated!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good Morning Alicia!

I am so excited to see you here on the Oklahoma Forum and hope you will be a regular visitor to our amazing on-line community! WELCOME!

I'm glad you liked the answer. I was afraid I just rambled on and on too much. But, if you'd been here at my house, and we were walking around outside with a big glass of iced tea in our hands and we were looking at the various shrubs.....those are all the words I would have said, and I didn't want to leave anything out.

Now, sometimes I like to write my answers the way my southern grandma and aunts spoke to me back in the 1960s and 1970s and your question about Leyland Cypress can only be answered using their words, so here it is. "Oh, honey, no!" (smiling as I say that)

Let me start by saying that I truly love the way HEALTHY Leyland Cypress look. I also admire their fast growth, but.....

In the gardening world, most trees fall into one category or the other......they are either fast-growing trees or slow-growing trees. People like to plant fast-growing trees, but almost without exception, fast-growing trees are fast-dying trees. Fast-growing trees tend to be weak-wooded or soft-wooded, disease-prone, insect-prone and they tend to begin dying just about the time they reach a beautiful, majestic height. Slow-growing trees tend to have hardwood, greater resistance to insects and disease, and they usually outlive the people who plant them. So, it is only on the absolute rarest of occasions that I will recommend the planting of a fast-growing tree (I did so this summer, in fact), but Leyland Cypress is not one I'd ever recommend.

Leyland Cypress's main attribute--being a fast grower, should set off alarm bells in your head. Leyland Cypress is a hybrid of two types of native cypress trees found on North America's west coast. Thus, it is best suited to the kind of conditions it might have on the Oregon coast--cool, moist, foggy air and lots of moisture and mild summer high temperatures. Leyland Cypress is NOT drough-tolerant (in a complicated way) and does not do well, long-term, in the southern half of the US--where, it fact, it has been vastly overplanted and is seeing a lot of decline (including here in Oklahoma).

Leyland Cypress will fool you. You buy it in a container, you plant it in well-prepared soil to which you have added lots of organic material. You water it in. Maybe you feed it a starter solution or root stimulator. You mulch it well and you water it regularly for the first year or two. It grows at the rate of 2' to 4' a year, and you are thrilled. After 2 or 3 or 4....or 6 or 7 or 8 years, though, just when you are thinking it is doing EXACTLY as you expected, you start seeing signs all is not well. You see twig dieback. You see browning of entire limbs. Leaves drop when they shouldn't. This is the beginning of the end. In southern climates, this tree has been found to be EXTREMELY prone to a canker caused by a fungus. It is called Seridium canker. It is a HUGE problem. It is one of the reasons that Leyland Cypress is falling from favor among folks who are serious about planting quality plants. This canker has been found in various southern states, including my home state of Texas, for many years, but has only appeared in Oklahoma rather recently.

There is one other problem with Leyland Cypress and it is also related to its' fast growth. The Leyland Cypress that you plant when it is 6' or 8' tall quickly becomes a monster 30 or 40' tall (or even taller) if it survives long enough. So, then, you not only have a disease-prone tree you'll eventually have to remove, but you have a HUGE disease-prone tree that will be incredibly difficult to remove. In Great Britian, where gardeners are VERY SERIOUS about their gardening, the dense shade caused by a neighbor's fast-growing Leyland Cypress trees has infuriated neighbors and has even led to lawsuits and murders. (No, I am not kidding!)

If it were me, I wouldn't plant it. Thuja gives a similar look, but with healthier trees and hollies are better still.

I've linked a bulletin on Leyland Cypress' disease issues in Oklahoma. Just click on the link below to bring up the linked document.

Let me know if more questions arise.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Leyland Cypress and Disease

• enjoyingnaturetx7b
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Dawn,

I have a related question to the Burford Holly. I was wondering if the holly will thrive if I maintain it at about 8 feet tall and spaced 5 feet (two hollies). Those are the dimensions I would like for a certain area of the yard. I've read that they tolerate pruning well. There would be good airflow on both sides of the holly. I'm thinking about using the regular Burford since it would grow a little bit faster. Thanks

• enjoyingnaturetx7b
    8 years ago

I just checked the holly list on the Dirt Doctor website and it definitely needs to be updated.

• scottcalv
    8 years ago

I like yaupons also. But when I am doing cleanups for folks they are one of the worst. They will grow the thickest worst mat of root suckers you have ever seen. Standard an dwarf both. But that might be what you are after.

• enjoyingnaturetx7b
    8 years ago

I was checking out the yaupons. They seem to thrive in our area. I was concerned because some sites say they're poisonous; we have a lot of kid traffic in our backyard. Thoughts on that?

• User
    8 years ago

Think back. When we were kids, way back before things like activities and playgrounds were so structured and we still could happily risk our lives on dangerous merry-go-rounds and teeter toters, we survived walking by stuff like this. Even castor beans didn't kill us all dead, we even got to plant them ourselves as kids plus we all did a whole lot more unsupervised walking back then. I don't think todays kids are going to be stuffing their mouths with yaupon berries, we wouldn't have, I doubt they taste good since the birds seem to leave them to last. You see them planted at just about every bank here in the city because they can trim them into tight unnatural shapes so easily making for the perfect corporate plant.

Well, those are my thoughts but I'm one of those people who thinks some things have gotten out of hand....call it a generation thing.

• enjoyingnaturetx7b
    8 years ago

Yep, funny and sad - different world today. Actually, the local schools won't even let kids play tag anymore.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Enjoying nature, I never have tried pruning hollies to a certain size. I let mine get to the full size and shape that they're meant to attain. You probably could prune them to any size and shape you want, but after a few years you end up with big thick branches with leaves sticking out of them and it looks unnatural unless you like tightly pruned hedges. I still can hear Neil Sperry's voice in my head on his radio show saying that if you want to prune shrubs into square green boxes, why not just go out and build a plywood box and paint it green. (grin) Who am I to defy Neil Sperry and try to prune my hollies to a certain arbitrary size? So, mine were spaced as far apart as they needed to be in the first place because I had a good idea how big they'd get and they are fine now---roughly 12' tall and 5-6' apart. Those are the Burford hollies on the south side of the house. They shade the south porch from the summer sun, which is precisely what I wanted them to do.

On the east side of the house, which is where the front part of the wraparound porch and the front door is located, I planted Dwarf Burford hollies in 2011 and they seem more like the size you'd want. I wanted a naturally shorter shrub there so we could sit on the porch and look out into the yard somewhat at least. Mine have really had to struggle through drought (i think I planted them in April of 2011 and it stopped raining soon thereafter and didn't rain for 90 days that summer) so they have grown relatively slowly for hollies, but now are about 5' tall and about 3-4' wide and they haven't reached their max size yet. I expect them to top out at around 8' tall and 4' wide, but time will tell. They are a loose informal hedge, which fits with our country Victorian house....all relaxed and sort of cottagey.

It is your house, though, and they are your shrubs, so you should plant what pleases you and maintain them in the way that makes you happy. I'm a firm believer that a person's landscape plantings should reflect their tastes and anyone who doesn't like it can just go mind their own business.

Well, except, I still have Neil Sperry's voice in my head and I agree with his comments about picking the right shrub to begin with so you don't have to prune your shrubs to an unnatural size or shape. That's just me, though. Some people love formally pruned hedges and they should have what they want. All those years of reading Neil's newspaper columns, his magazine and his books when we lived in Texas (as well as listening to his radio show and attending his Garden Shows) trained me to be a certain way as a younger gardener, and I have his voice in my head the way I have my dad's voice in my head, even though he is long gone.

Scott, We have native possumhaw hollies and I love them, but they sucker like the devil and we've got one in the front yard we're going to take out. I hate to take it out because it is the bird feeder tree where we hang the feeders, but we'll just move them somewhere else. It just suckers endlessly and I'm tired of dealing with it. We'll leave the ones on the edges of the woods because it doesn't bother us if they form thickets, and the birds love the berries in late winter and early spring, though they won't touch them until all the other berries are gone. When the cedar waxwings are migrating through in spring, they get pretty much drunk on those fermented possumhaw berries.

I feel like pretty much everything we plant has one poisonous part or another, so I plant what I want. If kids are around, I keep an eye on the kids, and teach them not to eat plant parts without checking with an adult first. No child has poisoned themselves on anything we grow yet, so I try not to worry about it. (And I grow several types of brugmansias and daturas, but the spiny seed balls are so hideous that I don't think I have to worry about kids getting hold of them and accessing the seeds.) When we were kids we ran all over the neighborhood and played and we all knew to go home immediately when our parents turned on the front porch light. None of us died or ever got seriously injured or ill. It was a wonderful childhood, and we had a woodland, a neighborhood pond, rocky cliffs to climb, etc. I appreciate that we got to be kids with no one hovering over us too much. Times have changed. And, just so you know, most poisonous plant parts have a bad taste, making it less likely kids will eat them. Or, they will cause you to throw up if you ingest them, so kids are not that likely to eat and swallow them. (However, some dogs will eat anything, so that is one thing to keep in mind if you have dogs.)

It is a sad commentary on life in this century that kids cannot play tag. No wonder so many children have a weight issue. It is hard to stay physically fit if you cannot do anything because you might get hurt. That is just sad.

Dawn

• scottcalv
    8 years ago

10-4 texasranger. I am only in my mid 30s but was raised on a large working farm in a very old fashioned way. I thank my parents and grandparents. But that is a totally different conversation than hedges. I like eleagnus. It is tough, hardy, and grows pretty fast even in drought.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    8 years ago

Yaupon leaves cam be made into a tea substitute. Yaupon tea

• enjoyingnaturetx7b
    8 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. I agree with considering mature height and width. I've been struggling with what to plant in that section for 2 years now because trying to fit nature's tendency with our needs is tough! Amy, I did not know that about yaupon tea. Dawn - I found some larger size affordable dwarf burfords (5 and 7 gallon) at a local nursery. I am going to check them out today. Do you think those would work for those dimensions? If yaupon was darker green and glossy foliage, I would definitely choose it. Beauty versus functionality - need 8-10 feet high and 3-4 feet for a sound barrier from the neighbor's late night parties. Really love the idea of dark green and glossy leaves. I think I'm going to drop the poison concern. If there are no other choices, I might go with the yaupon. I like the eleagnus but I think it might be too fast growing for the area I intend to plant. There's also boxwood fastigate but I don't want to wait another 10 years for visual/sound privacy. Scott - It would be awesome to live out in the country ...

• scottcalv
    8 years ago

It is! I wouldn't have it any other way. Except the coyotes were in the backyard again last night.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yaupon is a deciduous holly so I wouldn't use it for a sound-blocking hedge since the loss of leaves would allow more sound to come through. I'd stick with an evergreen. I think Dwarf Burford hollies would work for you, but there are tons of hollies out there in various sizes. You might try clicking on the link below to see the kinds of hollies carried by Sooner Plant Farm. I use their website as a resource to see what is available in the nursery trade. Their website is very informative and has great info that includes projected height and spread of various hollies. Based on their Dwarf Burford Holly size and width, I think it will work great for you but it will take it a while to get big.

Sooner Plant Farm

Living in the country does rock, as long as you aren't (a) entertaining coyotes in the yard, (b) entertaining raccoons in the chicken coop or in the corn patch, or (c) fleeing feral hogs while deer hunting. It is peaceful and relatively quiet most of the time, except quiet isn't really "quiet" as there's always a lot of night sounds.....frogs, insects, animals, etc. It is just that country noises are different from city noises. Different is not necessarily better. I do love hearing the cooing of the mourning doves, and even the lonely whistle of a late-night train. It feels like "being in the country" back when I visited my grandparents on their ranch in the 1960s. I don't even mind the howling of the coyotes as long as I know for sure that all our own animals are locked up safe and sound while the coyotes are prowling around. We moved from the city to the country in 1999 and I'll never leave the country to live in a city. I wish we'd moved to the country 15 years earlier than we did.

• enjoyingnaturetx7b
    8 years ago

Beautifully expressed - would love to live in the country! We have coyotes across the street at the park and have to keep an eye on our little dog; lots of missing little dog notices posted around the neighborhood. Other than that, we're pretty citified. Thanks for the input, if I can find tall enough Burford holly, I might choose it. I will check out Sooner Plant Farm Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.