Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small insects/bugs on my mint - what are they?

Posted by theflyingace 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 8, 11 at 18:17

hi everyone! i have some small creatures on my mint that i can't ID. i've already looked on the internet and through the posts on gardenweb, but alas, no luck. can anyone provide me with assistance?

these are very small (not as small as spider mites) pink-ish bugs with subtle ridges on on their backs. they have small antennae, and small white-ish spikes on their perimeter. they're very very slow-moving, and they are quite thin - almost flat. they seem to emerge from a white web that almost looks powdery, and there are many bugs webbed together in a clump. they also ooze pink fluid when squished.

for pictures, go here and scroll through my flickr pictures (they're the only ones i have up).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small insects/bugs on my mint - what are they?

I cant see the pictures very good on this net book. But they sound like mealy bugs.

o

thanks busy1! i think that's what they are! neem oil to the rescue! (assuming i don't have to get rid of the entire plant). :-(

o

Katie, I wouldn't think you'd have to get rid of the entire plant. After you spray with Neem and it takes care of the bugs, the mint should rebound. Nothing seems to keep mint down for long. I have three kinds of mint and generally they grow like mad. This year the drought has bitten them back so hard that I am not sure they will recover. If they receive some rainfall this fall and winter, though, I expect they'll bounce right back. Mint is really tough. It might be a little harder with mint in containers, though, since the roots are contained within the pots and cannot spread madly wherever they wish like they do when grown in the ground.

Dawn

o

Hey, Dawn. I was wondering where you've been? Have you been terribly busy with fires? I just saw that the Wichita Mountain refuge has an enormous fire. Horrible.
Hope all's ok with you and you guys get some soaking rains soon.

o

Hi Tracy,

As a matter of fact, we have been horrendously busy with fires. Even worse, from my owm viewpoint, is that they are getting closer and closer to our place....we've recently had two separate fires about 2 weeks apart on pieces of property that adjoin ours. I'm always worried that fire will hit our place while we're off fighting a fire at someone else's place. So few plants have survived this summer and I'd hate to lose them to fire.

The most recent Wichita Mountains fire didn't get as much press this time as last time because the horrendous wildfires in Central Texas were burning during part of that same time frame.

I'm trying to be optimistic and hope all the wildfires out in the area of the Wichita Mountains (and elsewhere) will cause a renewal of the plantings by burning off invasive vegetation and renewing some of the native stuff.

Hope y'all are well out there.

Dawn

o

thanks for the info, dawn. i've got my mint in a fairly small container, and i should have asked about the strange webby material earlier in the summer... consequentially, the mealybugs attacked the heart of the plant, and it's gone from a healthy-looking plant to almost dead in a week. i'm hoping it will rebound!

katie k.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here