Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

It's worm time

chickencoupe
10 years ago

In fall I divy up my worm bins and harvest compost. Mostly, I separate the bins for rapid production in autumn and the following spring.

If anyone wants some red wigglers, just let me know and I'll start a bin for you. You can swing by and pick them up at your convenience. (I don't get out much). Safe neighborhood.

No charge. Just happy to help spread the wormy friends.

Comments (14)

• Erod1
    10 years ago

What does one do with said worm bin, grow worms of course, but them what???

E

• OklaMoni
    10 years ago

worms poop the most wonderful organic fertilizer!

:)

Moni

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Erod... what Moni says. I make up worm tea and use it as a liquid fertilizer and soil conditioner (stimulating soil microbes).

It's difficult to make enough vermicompost (which is brand new soil) to add directly, so most use it as a topical dressing or make liquid fertilizer.

It is second-best to kelp/seawood liquid fertilizer and I'm beginning to think there is a lot of hype behind kelp/seaweed. Would be awesome to combine the two!

Completely organic, won't harm the plants and can be used on absolutely everything.

They never stink. They're quiet. They're never demanding and don't mind being forgotten about. :P :V

• Erod1
    10 years ago

What is a bin made from? What do you feed it? When you say worm tea, do you mean you boil the worms??? Or the " dirt" they are in. Where do you keep the bin in winter??? Are you giving away just the worms or the bin and the worms? ( i would be happy to purchase a bin if you have an extra or would make me one). And last, shoot me an email telling me what town you are in, if i have a place to put a worm bin, i think it would be a great winter project for my grandkids.

Thanks

Emma

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What is a bin made from?

Shredded newspaper and some moisture. When the bin gets larger I use wet egg cartons. Seriously, they can survive solely on those 2 things. Not unlike a compost, worms always need "browns" to live in, aerate their area and to munch away on.

What do you feed it?

Kitchen scraps, not unlike a compost but more regulated to the size of your wormy batch and how much they consume. Their favorite is cucurbits of any type.

I feed mine a special brew in a certain way to keep the house free from fruit flies. The bins are indoors.

When you say worm tea, do you mean you boil the worms???

I used a 5 gallon bucket, vermicompost (worm soil/poop) thrown in with a few other things and bubble it for 24 hours with a fish tank bubbler. It's just like making compost tea, actually (but better than most) and no stinkies.

Or the " dirt" they are in. Where do you keep the bin in winter???

I keep them indoors. They just cannot handle our extreme temps and I'm not up for working diligently to insulate them. Even if they survive outdoors they will not thrive. I need them to thrive to produce the most soil.

Are you giving away just the worms or the bin and the worms? ( i would be happy to purchase a bin if you have an extra or would make me one).

I'll be happy to make you a starter bin. What I usually do for newbies is place existing worm bedding into a gallon milk jug and nurture them without feeding for a week. Changing the environment can stress them. I also add in some worm eggs so the growth can be as quick as possible. Then, I pass along some food for them. Sometimes a change in diet can shock the little guys. Better to ease them into your own kitchen waste.

And I can give you the recipe/method to feeding indoors and avoiding any fruit fly problems. If you have a garage, you can put them there and they'll do awesome.

My own kids have learned about ecology and micro climates because of the worms. They know much about beneficial bugs and birds and their contribution to the climate ... because of these silly worms. They always ask, "Is it a friendly one?"

I'd be happy to set up something for you. it's so good for the environment and for the kids.

Sorry, I should put my email here. I don't have access to the listed with this forum and it won't let me change it.

Email me and let me know where you might put them and how big you want to get. It's not hard to come up with something.

boniyah2000@gmail.com

bon

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

You can make a bin out of a plastic/rubbermaid storage container. It doesn't have to be all that big. Shallower is better if you have to move it :) It can get heavy! I didn't use drainage holes on mine, but I think it is better to have them. Use a slightly larger container underneath to catch the liquid.

I kept one all last year, it is a fun project. It is really great if you don't already run a compost pile.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just put some in a milk jug for you.

Lisa's right. I started off with a 5 lb rubbermaid tub with a lid. I had hubs drill gabillions of tiny holes in the bottom, sides and top.

Now they're in a 35 gallon rubber maid tub with a lid and my son uses the old bin for his legos.

Hubs cut away 4" x 4" squares at opposing ends and bolted on hard wire cloth over those square holes for aeration. Landscape fabric went over these to thwart fruit flies.

He installed a spigot at the bottom of one end for drainage. I've never used it because of "dry feeding". The worms can absorb it quickly and does not dampen the bin.

Then, he made a simple wood dolly for it to set atop so I can roll it instead of drag or lift.

Lisa's right. It gets heavy .

I always keep a second bin to assist in exponential growth. Worms regulate themselves to their space. So, you never can have too many. By removing mature worms and leaving juniors an orgy ensues. More worms. More compost!

'm considering buying new kitchen garbage can and modifying the old into a bin that I can put out of the way.

So, it really depends on what you need and your preferences. I don't recommend buying commercial bins unless you plan to harvest a lot. That comes later, anyway. It takes time. I just harvest as I need unless I'm preparing beds for maximum production.

Next spring should yield about 50lbs of vermicompost.

This is the only thing about gardening for which I am proficient unless you count the hundreds of cherry-sized beef steak tomatoes a couple years back. At least they tasted good.

Btw, if you don't do chemical fertilizers, you can put them right into your indoor flower pots. :)

Here are some pictures of the bin at the vermicomposter forum

• OklaMoni
    10 years ago

Bon made a beautiful post over at the Soil, Compost & Mulch forum. Check it out, but realize, you will have to scroll down a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bon's post

• jensara
    10 years ago

About where are you located? I'm interested getting some worms for the winter.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, jensara.

I'm in the small city of Cushing located just outside Stillwater (40 mins W of Tulsa).

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Moni. That's very sweet of you!

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey. It let me change my email. Woot! Ya'll can use the email displayed. Either one.

• jensara
    10 years ago

Thanks for the offer but you're too far out for me. Would cost more in gas than to buy the worms. I could send my husband that way after a game but he would just look at me crazy. I still get funny look when I open the trash can and start complaining about finding veggie and fruit parts in it. When the compost pail is sitting just above the trash.

But he never complains about the fresh hot peppers. :)

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha Funny how non-composters react.