Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soonergrandmom

Hey Dawn, Tell us about the Fire Dept fundraiser..

soonergrandmom
11 years ago

How much did your Italian Cream Cake sell for?

Comments (5)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Carol,

The fundraiser went great. It didn't rain so we weren't wet or muddy, and the temperature was in the upper 70s when we started in mid-afternoon. We didn't have many, if any, mosquitoes or flies. Attendance was fantastic, the ribs and other bar-b-q were incredibly delicious, and we raised a lot of money for the VFD.

I don't know exactly what my cakes sold for this year. During the cake/pie auction, I was in the kitchen washing dishes. You know, being the chief's wife is such a glamorous job and I spent 85% of my time in the kitchen, and the other 15% carrying stuff in and out of the kitchen.

Tim tried to buy the Italian Cream Cake but said the bidding got too rich for him. I am glad he didn't succeed because I had one made for us to have at home, but had put it in the freezer so he didn't know about it. He thinks the Italian Cream Cake sold for $145 and the Extreme Chocolate Cake for $90 but isn't positive. We almost had too many pies and cakes to auction because it seemed like everyone who attended the auction brought their own pie or cake to sell (which was incredibly kind of them...to bring stuff to sell and to buy the stuff other people brought!), and many people brought more than one. One young woman brought six cakes to sell. I think she is a co-worker of one of our younger firefighters.

The best part, though, had nothing to do with the fundraising part of the event. It was just so wonderful to see not only the members of the local Shady Dale community and fire district, but friends from other parts of the county, including firefighters from other departments/fire districts and a lot of the sheriff's deputies and county 9-1-1 dispatchers. Usually when we're all together we're working a big active wildfire or maybe a serious accident on a highway and we don't get to visit with one another, so seeing everyone together for a few hours was really nice. I didn't get to talk to many people once the crowd arrived, but was able to chat with a few before we started serving dinner and got so busy.

My gardening friend, Fred, came by early in the evening so I was able to see him and wish him a Happy 90th Birthday. I hope when I am his age, if I am so lucky as to live so long, that I am still gardening and as active as he is.

Today we had the after-party for the firefighters, which essentially is a gathering to rehash the event, make notes for next year, and eat up all the leftovers. Yum, yum, yum.

Now, I'm ready to get back to my garden after a few days away from it while we were busy getting ready for the fundraiser. I have the soaker hose on now because when we got home I noticed the broccoli and cabbage were wilted. We're still waiting for that 3.9" of rain the QPF forecasted. We've had a grand total of 0.15" and our prospects of getting more are not good at all. September is looking dry for us. It is usually one of our wetter months, with about 4" in an average September, so every day that it is not raining, we are falling behind.

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dawn, Thanks for the report and it sounds like a wonderful day. I hope you made a ton of money and I know those things are not successful without great leadership. Your family does so much for the community and the area is so blessed to have you there. Tell the Chief that we think he is special, and he also has a great wife and son.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Oh Carol, you are so sweet. Thanks for the kind words and I'll pass them on to "Da Chief", as the guys call him.

We're just fortunate that we are able to participate in the local fire department. We've met absolutely the most wonderful, civic-minded, caring, loving, hard-working people through our work with the VFD. Being a member of it is both an honor and a privilege.

• luvabasil
    11 years ago

Ms Dawn,
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! I know the work that goes into those fundraisers, and I so admire your dedication. Ms Carol is quite right,the community is more than lucky to have your family care so much for it. Congratulations again.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Kim,

Thanks a million.

Gee, y'all are gonna make our heads swell so big they'll look like big ol' pumpkins.

I am a homebody and would rather be at home working in my garden or in the kitchen canning, cooking or baking all the time. Given a choice, I'd practically be a hermit. (A happy hermit with a garden and animals.) Working with the VFD is good for me because it makes me leave my own little garden world and venture out into the big world every now and then. Then, when the fire or other emergency has been dealt with and we're home again, I'm right back out there in the garden. It is the best of both worlds.

Dawn