Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

Garlic Time

elkwc
11 years ago

Is fast approaching. I've got my main rows prepared. Will remove okra soon and prepare two more 35 ft rows. On the main rows I'm trying something a little different this year. First this year I'm pulling the straw back where the rows will be and working the soil. In the garden area I removed the soil and made a trench around 10 inches deep. Then added 3-4 inches of partially decomposed horse manure and then packed it lightly and added another layer and packed it lightly. Which made a bottom of 4-6 inches of lightly packed partially decomposed manure compost. Sprinkled corn gluten on top. Then pulled the dirt back in and added 2-3 inches of mushroom compost on top and sprinkled a light layer of corn gluten and worked it in to just where I was bringing up the very top of the manure compost. Then wet the soil with the liquid fertilizer I've used this summer from Aggrand. I forgot to add the molasses to the liquid fertilizer so added two tablespoons per gallon and lightly soaked the soil with it. A day later the rain fell. So the bed looks nice. I had one bulb that was sprouting so I planted it. I also had some bulbs of another variety that was going bad. I planted a few bulbs of it today. Will get serious about planting in another 7-14 days. This is the earliest I've ever planted. Will see if the preparation and earlier planting make any difference in bulb size next summer. I'm sorting and breaking my bulbs now. There will be some surprises in mail boxes soon. I will add a link to a SSE site. Where they have a planting guide from the late Darrell Merrell of Tulsa. Thought it might be of interest to some.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic planting guide

Comments (25)

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reminder, Jay.

My bulbs are sprouting, too.

• ezzirah011
    11 years ago

I am curious, why the corn gluten and molasses?

• elkwc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ezzirah;
    Corn gluten is very high in N. Most of the time around 9%. So a very good fertilizer when you want to add N organically to the soil. The other thing it is used for is it will suppress seed germination for a short time. If you applied it this fall you would never seen any benefit or if you planted seeds next spring it would never be a problem. I've seen recomendations that you should wait 30 days or longer after using it if it is just scratched in the top few inches. The main reason I added it is for the N and because I bought a bag 4-5 years ago. You don't use a lot so a 50 lb bag from a feed store or elevator lasts a long time. The bag was degrading and I decided to try to use it up this year. Just about have it all used. Had a little left in a bucket and forgot to put it up before the rain. I will scatter it out and work it in later.

Molasses is used as what I call a soil activator/microbial food. I will attach one link with info about it. If you do a search on either corn gluten or molasses you will find lots of info. It feeds and increases the numbers or beneficial microbes, is a good source of nutrients and trace minerals. I've done unscientific trials in my garden and you can see the difference. Plants will be darker appear healthier and are more productive. If using a large amount you can get molasses at a feed store or elevator. Anymore I usually buy mine at the grocery store. I buy unsulphured molasses. It is higher than a feed store but cheaper than ordering it online from an organic garden supply source. I still have some from my local elevator. It didn't seem to work as well. Wasn't as dark and I think it might have urea in it. You don't want molasses with urea and at a feed mill at least around here it might have. You would need to ask. Normally I add one tablespoon per gallon. I add two usually in the fall. The increased microbe activity will break down organic matter faster. I also use the increased rate in the spring in areas where I add organic matter and want it to break down faster. It is also used when treating the soil to break down certain pollutants. At work we have used a molasses solution on spill areas. It has also been proven to be beneficial in control of certain nematodes. I will link a study from Hawaii at the bottom. Molasses is the one constant in my garden. I feel it is as important as anything I add to my garden including the tree leaves and manure compost. If I work the leaves and compost in and treat the soil well with molasses the area will be full of worms in short order and seems to break down faster. Worms seems to like it along with the beneficial microbes. You can use dry molasses but need to be careful what type you buy and use. http://www.brighthub.com/environment/green-living/articles/86903.aspx

Here is a link that might be useful: Molasses

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Jay, I am glad it is time. It is nice to be able to think about and talk about something other than the summer survival (or lack of survival) of plants in the long, hot, dry growing season of 2012.

We've had good rainfall, so I won't plant garlic for another week to ten days---I have to wait now for the soil to dry out a little. It has been raining off and on for the last 36 hours--never heavy rain at all unless it was while I was sleeping, but just slow light soaking rains. We're up to 2.25" since Wednesday.

Ezzirah, One of my favorite things about molasses is that you see remarkable changes in the soil after you use it, and in more ways than one. I've used both blackstrap molasses from the grocery story and dry molasses purchased from organic nurseries. In our fire ant-infested area, the ants congregate the most in soil that is low in biological activity. Applying molasses to soil that is low in biological activity will stimulate more microbial activity and that, in turn, encourages the fire ants to move along to another location. Biologically active soil is healthy soil. Sugar will do about the same thing, so if someone happens to spill sugar on the kitchen floor or counter while measuring it out while baking, I sweep it up and take it outdoors and scatter it on the ground. I also like to scatter dry molasses on the compost pile every now and then where it works as an activator.

I first learned about using molasses in gardening from D-FW's Dirt Doctor, J. Howard Garrett, so I've linked a page from his website where he discusses briefly the ways that molasses help improve your soil.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Dirt Doctor: Molasses

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

Molasses rocks! I add it to the soil, the compost piles and, especially, the worm bins. The worms go nuts over it.

• ezzirah011
    11 years ago

Wow! I feel like I have been let in on some super secret garden trick! I was in the grocery store the other day and all I could find was the molasses in the yellow label. I said molasses, but not "backstrap" molasses. Is that the same thing? And you just mix a tablespoon a gallon? I am all over that! WOW!...

• elkwc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ezzirah,
    I'm attaching a link that I imagine is what you bought. I have used it and it works fine. If it is the same what you have is the pure cane juice. It is the sweetest. They process it to remove the sugar. Everytime they process it there is less sugar but the nutrients become more concentrated. Like Dawn mentioned earlier the microbes like sugar also. In my opinion it works fine. I prefer blackstrap but can't always find it anymore. I do make sure it is unsulphered.It it is you should be fine. I would use what you have and look around when you shop and see if you see any blackstrap. Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Molasses

• ezzirah011
    11 years ago

Jay, that is the stuff. It seems to be the only thing I can find. If you say it is ok, I will use it. I may make a run up to the whole foods and see if they have an backstrap.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Ezzirah - I have seen large bottles of molasses at Atwoods. In the store that I go to it was stocked by the deer corn. It is not for human consumption but should be great for the garden.

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

I planted my garlic yesterday but I did very little to the soil. I have a few more to plant and plan to do a better job on the next row.

I have a gal. molasses like you get at the feed store and plan to try then. I dont care much for table molasses's and if I were to use something from the house, it would be sugar.

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

I noticed that the row of garlic I planted on 10-1 is coming up. I said I would do a better job on the second row when I planted it, I lied. I just scratched a hole and dropped them in also. I expect they will be coming up within 2 weeks.

I am also being attacked by walking onions. George sent me some last winter and they are coming up every where.

I have a Gal. of feed store molasses, I may try to mix up some in a water can and sprinkle down the rows. I need to do something, I have been trying to grow plants without fertilizer the past 2 years and the plants dont respond as well as they did when I fed them, even though I have a high mineral count in my soil.

Larry

• elkwc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Carol did you read the label of the molasses that you saw in Atwoods? I'm curious if it was black strap, unsulphered and whether it contained urea or not. The reason I ask is I used to buy all of my molasses from a local co-op that mixed feed. A few years ago when I had soil samples ran I had an organic lab run some also. First to compare to the results and recommendations from the KSU lab and also so I could ask some questions I had about certain organic fertilizers and aids which included molasses. I had read several opinions about it's use and some were conflicting and it also seemed the last couple of years I hadn't seen the positive results from the use of it that I had before. What the person with the lab told me was that the source where you bought the molasses didn't matter. As long as it was black strap, unsulphered and most important contained no urea which some used in livestock feed does. I then checked and found out what I had purchased from the co-op did. Here the only place I can find molasses that fits the needed criteria is at some grocery stores. It is either that or buy online and pay a high shipping fee. I check everywhere I go as I would like to buy at least a gallon but so far in this area haven't found in at the farm stores, feed mills that meet the requirements. The dry mix that used to be offered at a store in Guymon didn't meet the requirements either. So was curious if that you saw did or not.

Larry I'm almost halfway finished planting my garlic. After I finish the long rows I will have to prepare two shorter rows. I'm not going to prepare those the same way so hopefully I will finish this week. Jay

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Jay, I didn't read the label at all, just noticed that it was there. We don't have an Atwood's here, so I only go there if I happen to be in Vinita or Bartlesville. Maybe Josh (teach math) can check it for us since I think he is probably much closer to a store than I am.

I have never used molasses in my garden, but it sounds like a good idea. I am a molasses lover so I always have it in my kitchen, but what I can buy now is not as good as I could find years ago.

If it turns out to be what you want, I can send you a jug.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Jay, There seems to be some difference in the requirement for sulphured or unsulphured. Do you know why?

The Stockade brand mentioned in the Garrett article that Dawn linked is made only about 70 miles from me, in Pittsburg KS, so I feel sure I could find a store that carries that one. I haven't looked, but I can.

• luvabasil
    11 years ago

I ffollowed the instructions for my garlic and will plant when the ground drys a bit. I was going to plant before the rain hit, but had to make a last minute trip to Charleston.
    The question: I have applied the molasses to the garlic bed, and the saffron bed. I gather I should add it to all my bed preparations. Do I add it at any other time besides bed prep?
    Melony

• teach_math
    11 years ago

I'll look next time I'm in atwoods. Was there about 2 hours ago. Man I love that place. If i only could shop in one store, that would be the store.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Josh, I like Atwoods too, but I don't go to Vinita much since the bar-b-que place closed. We now take a different route to got to my son's place, so I just rarely get over that way.

• biradarcm
    11 years ago

Jay,
    I got Metechi and Burgundy from Gourmet Garlic Gardens as new additions. I am going to plant them along with my existing seeds stock of white soft and straightneck! I learned couple of very easy but very yummy garlic recipes from the one of the local restaurant, it called "Garlic Roast Fry"... that is become my one of the favorite garlic recipes. -Chandra

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Welcome home Chandra. Did you have a good trip?

• elkwc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chandra,
    I have a little over half of my garlic in. Around 170 ft of row length in so far. Spacing roughly 8 inches a part. I cut the okra I was leaving for seed tonight and will let it finish drying in the greenhouse. I then ran the anteater Troy Bilt tiller over that area. I will try to put down manure and mushroom compost tomorrow evening along with some blood meal and work it in. This will be my last area. I will be planting about 2 1/2 times more than I ever have. The main reason is I obtained some varieties I couldn't say no too. I lost several bulbs I had stored. I changed my storage method this year due to the intense heat and the house being so warm during the day. I think the evaporitive air conditioner created too much humidity. The bulbs were good and dry when I hung them inside. I will still have enough but not sure how well some will sprout. I should know in 7-10 days. I will post a list of what I'm growing after I finish and see what emerges. The soil is in ideal shape and I'm planting earlier so hopefully I'll have a great harvest next year. Jay

• biradarcm
    11 years ago

Carol, yes I am back home and back to work. Trip was bit hectic, stayed in 10 places in 10 days, however it was great and fruitful trip.

Jay, great 170ft and still counting, you seems to be growing tons of garlic! Our garlic are doing just fine in storage. I am thinking to go no-till this time, even though soil is not yet ready for no-till gardening but no option just because to take care of three kids! I checked couple of beds, soil is so porous and healthy with all those mulches and absolutely no stepping. I am not going to add any additional things expecting adding all those chapped plants from the fall cleaning.

-Chandra

• elkwc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chandra, I ended up with at least 350' of garlic planted. Maybe a little more. Not sure on clove count. I planted most 8 inches apart. I planted different than I have in the past. 3 rows together 8-10 inches apart and the cloves on all varieties but the elephant approx. 8 inches apart. The elephant garlic is 10 inches apart in all directions. Several of the bulbs of it were medium to large undivided bulbs. All of the elephant bulbs stored well and appear very healthy. I culled alot of the other varieties. I attribute it too the way I stored them. Will change next year. If I have poor emergence on any variety I will just buy elephant garlic from the grocery store and fill in the blanks. I will use it as I can readily tell it apart from anything else I grow. I planted more varieties this year than last year as I was able to obtain some varieties that I wanted to grow. I'm concentrating on varieties with 4 cloves but no more than 8. I did plant 2 that has more than eight. I planted the following varieties. Elephant, Rosewood, Zemo, Brown Saxon(Hot), Keeper(Hot), Khabar, Old Homestead(OK heirloom.2nd chance),Musica(2nd chance), Bogatyr, Elmer's Topset, Nesenkeag, Colorado Purple(hint of sweetness), Chamisal Wild(rich flavor,NM heirloom), Metechi(heat), Red Estonian, Ayacucho, German Hardneck, Penasco Blue, Santa Fe Rocambole, K's Backyard Pskem, Nesenkeag, Elmer's Topset, Korean Mountain(heat and full flavor)

• biradarcm
    11 years ago

Jay, I just say wow on your garlic choices and varieties. Thanks for listing varietie you planted, I have noted them for next year. I would have followed your tip to chose only 4 cloves types in ordering new varieties. fortunately Metechi fall in the category but Burgundy is just mistake as I see 20-25 little cloves per bulb and few of them are spoiled. I used 8" for Metechi and just 4" in all side for rest. Hah we crushed one clove of the Metechi to used with sambar, we loved it!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

That sure is a lot of garlic! Jay is not only the Tomato King, but also the Garlic King.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Jay, The major portion of your diet must be garlic, peppers, and tomatoes (LOL). That is a lot of garlic. I guess I need to plant a little myself. I didn't order any so I will probably just put in some cloves from my pantry. With the West Nile threat being so great this year, I haven't spent a lot of time outdoors.

I picked beans yesterday but forgot to check one area that had a few plants and they were covered with pods. Just when I thought I was finished with beans, I picked another bowl full.

Dawn, do you think your green squash will be OK if you pull them now? The forecasts that I have checked are sure not in agreement. They all agree it will be cold, but last time when the forecast was for 31, I didn't even lose my sweet potato foliage or large pepper plants that had not been covered. It is hard to know what to do. I have four very large green winter squash.

I have not cleaned my garden yet, except for the places I planted cool crops. I have blooming tomato plants, and potato plants that are knee high. Although I didn't plant them on purpose, it is sad to see the weather take out something that wants to grow so badly. LOL