Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine Borer in Acorn Squash

Posted by wlburgess OKC (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 20:49

I have lost more plants to vine borers than anything else. I hate these guys with a passion. Today I went out to check on my acorn squash and they weren't just in the vine, but they had started eating through the fruit as well. I picked about 4 almost ripe acorn squash and had to cut out 1-2 vine borer larvae out of each one. No question here, I just hate these little guys.

William

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine Borer in Acorn Squash

William,

I feel your pain and understand your frustration.

We had 6 or 7 great winter squash/pumpkin years here at our place before the SVBs found us. Since they found us and our garden, I tend to mostly plant C. moschata types of squash because the SVBs don't bother them much, if at all. Otherwise, if I plant C. pepo or other types, I am compelled to grow them under floating row cover to protect them. Unfortunately that adds one more chore to the 'to do' list in the garden, because you have to lift the cover and hand-pollinate the flowers since the row cover also excludes the pollinators.

My dream garden would include a high tunnel/hoophouse type structure that was covered with window screen type material instead of greenhouse plastic so I could grow all the pumpkins and winter squash I want without having to watch the SVBs get them virtually every year. We are not likely to ever build such a structure, but I can dream about it!

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here