Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slowpoke_gardener

critter damage

slowpoke_gardener
10 years ago

I picked the last of the Old Timey Cornfield pumpkins this evening because the deer were eating them. These were the ones that had grown across the fence into the pasture. The final count was over 70 pumpkins from 4 seeds. There were all shapes and sizes of them. The ones I weighed were from 10 to 25 pounds. The deer ate the pumpkin vines, the acorn squash vines, the sweet potatoes vines in the north garden and flower bed. To add insult to injury, our dog tried to eat the pumpkins that were small enough to bite.

Larry

Comments (9)

• helenh
    10 years ago

That looks like a dangerous dog. Cooked pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling is supposed to be good for dog tummy trouble.

Here is a link that might be useful: cooking pumpkin for your big dog

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Helen, this dog eats prescription dog food that we have to buy from the vet .because of his tummy problems He also loves sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, apples, plums,squash leaves, and many other vegetables and fruit, but he wants them raw. I have never grown any pumpkin before and when my wife saw the dog wanted to eat the pumpkin she took him into the house and tried to give him some cooked pumpkin, he would not eat it.

Larry

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Maybe he is waiting for you to make him a pie. LOL

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol, that is funny, you can tell by looking at him that likes all kinds of pie.

• helenh
    10 years ago

Put a little chicken in it. Food that you steal tastes better.

• wulfletons
    10 years ago

Larry, that dog is cracking me up! I can just imagine him trying to drag his prize off to enjoy a snack.
    I was not able to find any Old Timey seeds this year. If you save extra, I would love to buy some from you.

Thanks, Krista

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Larry, The deer have been eating my Seminole plants that are growing on the garden fence. I told the deer that they are only hurting themselves because those plants had hung on through the drought and survived and are blooming and setting fruit again, which I pick daily like summer squash and slice up to feed the deer. So, if they'd rather eat the plant stems and foliage than to have the sliced up squash every night, that's their choice. It is less work for me and the deer are getting fed one way or another.

Your dog is so adorable.We have had cats who have to have prescription pet food, but our dogs have cast iron stomachs.

Around here, the squirrels are starting to devour anything that's still alive, including the green pecans. We have more squirrels than usual this year, but with the drought, that's not a big surprise. At this point, they can eat anything they find in the garden because I've through with the garden and am leaving it alone for the wildlife to enjoy before it freezes.

Dawn

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Krista, I will share any kind of seed I have with you, but I did not hand pollinate and the seeds may not be completely pure, and they may not have been pure when I planted them, but they have been very productive.

Dawn, my oldest daughter was over today, and as she got out of the car and looking at the flower beds and garden, She said "what are you growing"? I told her that I was growing sweet potato stems. (the deer had eaten the leaves just leaving the stems standing)

I had two granddaughters to load up with pumpkins today. One of my granddaughter is starting her practice teaching this year and I bet I got rid of 35 to 50 pumpkins today, most were Seminole pumpkins for the students.

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

"growing sweet potato stems"

LOL