Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds from OTCP

chickencoupe
9 years ago

The other thread was getting a bit long. hehe Yes, I must go on and on and on about these pumpkins ... but for the yummies now. :D

I have never experienced the same taste of roasted pumpkin seeds as those found in the middle east. Here is a recipe that seems to define why they are unique from our local (store-bought) variety. Turns out, the traditional method in the middle east ... drum roll ... packs important digestive factors. The Aztecs were proficient in the same manner.

Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

Comments (6)

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I feel so much accomplishment. 5 Cups of FREE pumpkin puree. ha!

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

That is beautiful Bon! I may just do that with mine too.
    kim

• Macmex
    9 years ago

That's exactly how I process our squash. Then, I stack the bags in the freezer. It works great!

Congratulations Bon! This is one of those crops I call a "feel good crop." I would grow it just because it makes me feel good to see the growth and production!

George

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

FREE? Heck, girl, you worked hard for that and earned it. It wasn't really free, it is just that the price you paid for it might not be something you see in terms of dollars and cents...you put sweat equity into it, if nothing else.

• Auther
    9 years ago

Fixing pumpkin to put in the freezer is far from free, it is a lot of hard work if not time consuming, but it gives one a good feeling to have it put up for when you want to use it.
    Pumpkin pie is good but pumpkin bread is so wonderful.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Kim!

George, frig packing is an art form. hehe It's worth the occasional leak to fit more in a convenient way. And I appreciate your contribution to this much fun!

Dawn & Amy

You're right. Plenty of sweat and, after yesterday, quite a few watts on the utility bill were added. This moschata is one tough rind! next time I will steam it and, then, roast it a little for flavor. I think pumpkin bread will be the first for me to try since I know the kids enjoy zucchini breads. But that cheese cake icing needs to be there! Yeah.. muffins with icing.

The seeds turned out spectacular. I didn't have mineral salt, but used kosher. I believe the soaking was an important step to getting that real salty taste I'm familiar.