Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrholme

Insect/bird ID?

chrholme
12 years ago

I see these (hummingbirds maybe?) flying around my garden in the early morning and just before dusk, they particularly like the verbena. Anyone know what they could be? I'm located in Edmond- in a rural area. Thank you :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture

Comments (13)

• mulberryknob
    12 years ago

trees, when I clicked on the link, it brought up google's mail signin, not a pic. But a guess about what you are seeing would be either Hummingbird Moth or Hawk Moth. They are active at the times you mentioned. If one of the members more knowledgeable about moths than I am sees this, you may learn more about them. I know the tomato hornworm is the larval stage of the Hawk Moth, but don't know about the Hummingbird Moth. But perhaps you can do a search to learn more.

• chrholme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If you don't mind sharing how to post my picture correctly, I'll try again. Thanks Mulberry :)

• mulberryknob
    12 years ago

I'm too tech impaired to know, but someone will be along who can tell you.

• helenh
    12 years ago

I put my photos that I want to share in Photobucket. You have to open an account. It is free and easy to do. Then you scroll under the picture and a rectangular box will appear. Click on it and it will copy the picture which you paste in your message.

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

• helenh
    12 years ago

The tobacco hornworm moths fly around my four o clocks after dark. I think the ones that are out earlier are the white lined sphinx where I live at least. Your library may have a good field guide if you don't have one.

Here is a link that might be useful: sphinx moths

• mulberryknob
    12 years ago

Helen, your petunias look just like mine, a reseeding strain that I got 20 years ago and which have been showing up around the garden for all these years. Mine grew with the tomatoes and popped out the top of a six foot trellis. I have those colors and a light lavendar one.

• helenh
    12 years ago

The picture was from earlier this summer. I can't remember when it last rained here. Glenda (gldno1) gave me the seeds for those petunias. I have given up watering except for just keeping plants I've had for awhile alive. It is nice that some will grow with no care. The four o clocks are still blooming also some pretty weeds and morning glories.

• tomatoworm59
    12 years ago

If you're seeing a hawkmoth just before sundown and in the very early morning, chances are, it is NOT a tobacco hornworm moth [Carolina/six-spotted sphinx]. You are likely seeing Oklahoma's most common sphinx, the white-lined [Hyles lineata]. Their caterpillars are largely harmless for feeding on pasture/roadside weeds, but in the flowerbed, their favorite host is Mirabilis [four o' clock]. Please do not kill them, even there, because they are also the four o' clocks' primary pollinator--able to get down into the deep-throated flowers.

A cute little day moth, is the clearwing sphinx or bumblebee moth. Yes, they mimic bumblebees for protection, as they are diurnal. Real bumblebees light on and crawl into flowers, while the moths always hover, hence anoth nickname common to sphingids--"hummingbird moth."

• chrholme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a picture- maybe this will help the ID :) Thanks Helenh for the info on photobucket!!

[IMG]http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc401/trees4ok/id.jpg[/IMG]

• helenh
    12 years ago

I am not seeing the picture. If you have pictures uploaded to Photobucket, run your cursor around the picture you want. Some information will appear. Find HTML and a rectangular box. Usually it is under the blue bar but on some of my pictures the rectangular box is above the picture. Click on the HTML box and it will say copied.

Then come here and paste it in your message.

You can also make small clickable pictures. To do that check the very small box just under the picture and go down to the very bottom of your pictures. Click select action and a new page will come up. Select generate link codes.

Click the top box for thumbnails and will turn yellow and say copied. Then paste it here.

• chrholme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok let's try this one more time- thanks for your patience :)

• helenh
    12 years ago

I see it; you did it. Pretty flowers. I see pink on the moth; it looks like some I see here in the day time.

• chrholme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Helen for all your help! All the different codes are a little confusing :) As I was out tending to my lemon tree I saw about 6 of these flying around- they especially like the verbena the cool damp weather that's coming doesn't scare them away.

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry