Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

not much left... of the left shoe

OklaMoni
11 years ago

My shoe is missing. It was there, last night, when I went in the house...

This morning I found a little piece... and tossed it in the garbage. Then, I went looking all around the outside edges, under the bushes.

Nothing, nadda! Later, walking back from hanging up laundry I found two more little pieces. One shoe is just plain all gone. Guess, I should have gone out, and looked, when I heard "something" during the night?

{{gwi:1132178}}

Comments (14)

• TraceyOKC
    11 years ago

LOL...thats too funny. Who would have ever thought a wild creature would have any interest in shoes? They have said the drought is making the animals behave unusually. But that is crazy.

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

I use to slip my shoes off outside of DD's back door, but she has 4 dogs that taught me better. I have 2 board attached to the railing at my back door to drop my rubber boots over.

Maybe you can set a live trap and use the other shoe as bait. or hop on one foot while gardening.

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

lol Shoe bait.

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

Sorry... I hope it thought it was tasty!

Lisa

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

I bet it was a raccoon, and I say that from experience.

About 10 years ago we had a simply huge raccoon problem, so we started trapping them. We'd use those little clear plastic tray type things that Crisco sticks come in as dishes to hold the bait for the coons. We generally used canned cat food as bait.

Every time there was a raccoon in the trap in the morning, the cat food was all gone and so was the plastic container it had been in. I couldn't believe the coon would eat the plastic, so I called our friend who had loaned us the live trap. She confirmed that when they trapped raccoons, the coons also ate the little plastic tray that the cat food was in.

So, I'm thinking you have hungry raccoons, and I hope it is nothing worse than raccoons.

Dawn

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually I am thinking possum. I already saw one in my yard once.

I love the shoe bait comment. To funny.

Moni

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

Wow. Just when I thought I'd heard everything.....

• okievegan
    11 years ago

Seriously mom, what's the big deal? Everyone knows that the right shoe is the more important one. Left shoes are only sold so that if the right one wears out too quickly, you can turn the left one inside out and then wear it,

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Moni, I've never seen possums eat plastic or rubber or other bizarre stuff, but that doesn't mean they don't....I always keep my Crocs inside the house, so I haven't had a chance to see which varmint would eat them.

The possums do like to climb the porch pillars, take down the hummingbird feeders and drink all the nectar. Maybe they are using the nectar from our feeders to wash down the shoes that they ate at someone else's house. Coons drink the nectar too, but they are not as polite. The possums drink the nectar but leave the feeders intact. The coons tear the feeders apart and scatter the pieces in the flower beds.

Gene, Stick with us, and you'll hear even more strange and unusual stuff over time....it is incredible what we see out there in our yards and gardens. I've seen birds and animals I never thought I'd see here, even allowing for the fact that I am in a rural area with abundant wildlife.

Dawn

• helenh
    11 years ago

If I hadn't seen Honey in the yard just a minute ago I would think he did it. Do you have neighbors with dogs that occasionally escape?

• okievegan
    11 years ago

Helenh, I love your blenda-cat!

The dog looks innocent. Does she practice that look?

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

Helen, thanks for the picture, such a beautiful lawn and pets. We have a Yorkie that had his 6th birthday last week. He stays in the house and has my wife and me trained very well.

Larry

• helenh
    11 years ago

The cat weighs a little over 7 pounds and the dog about 30 pounds. The look on the dog is caution because the cat slaps him for no reason. He plays very rough with my bigger dog which weighs 70 pounds but he is afraid of the cat.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yard is fenced in, and gate usually closed, and was closed that night.

Moni