Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

I'm unofficially declaring summer over Friday

scottokla
9 years ago

The forecast for NE Oklahoma looks like some serious cool downs coming our way in the next two weeks. Only a few scattered days with lows above 70 and highs above 90 remaining, mostly the days before fronts get here.

Goodbye, summer. You were nice this time.

Comments (46)

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Where is a "LIKE" button when you want one?? :)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I'll vote for you for President if this is a sample of your leadership and decision making skills.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Well, I want an official declaration. When it comes to our weather I'm a cynic. It has been a terrific summer, tho.

• scottokla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, after seeing the forecasts this morning, I'm ready to make it official. I see highs in the 70s and lows near 50 by the 15th.

I make the motion that summer be over starting Friday night. Do I have a second?

• Nancy Fryhover
    9 years ago

I will give you a second so I can go drain that dang kiddy pool..lol

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Yaah, I can plant larkspur and poppies...soil will start cooling and rain might make them germinate for next spring :)

• backyardmomma
    9 years ago

Second!!!!! I'm ready for cool season gardening! (And for squash bugs to freeze to death)

• scottokla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have a second.

All in favors of summer being over after tomorrow say "Aye".

• lat0403
    9 years ago

Aye! But I'm not sure I'm so lucky down here. Actually, I just checked the 10 day forecast again and it is looking better. We'll heat back up early next week but then cool off again with highs in the 80's by the end of the week. Not as nice as your highs in the 70's, and certainly no lows near 50, but I'll take it.

Leslie

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

We are anticipating highs in the mid-60s Saturday.....huh? This summer really hasn't been too bad overall. Hopefully the fall will have good amounts of rain for all of us.

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

I am glad it is all settled and voted in, I bought cabbage and broccoli plants to put into the ground. Now, would you be so kind as to vote in enough rain and the proper growing weather?

• kfrinkle
    9 years ago

Hmmm... i am not seeing this down in Durant.... :(

• scottokla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, for the northeast half of the state, the ayes have it.

Fall starts Saturday. Summer can visit for a few days through Oct 1, just never more than one day at a time, or more than three days in the month (like mother-in-law rules).

Bring on fall, and some heavy rain next week, too. I'm feeling greedy.

• luvabasil
    9 years ago

I second, third and fourth!!!!!! And I am pulling those runner beans (who knew speckled butter beans were runners?) out of the freaking ground!?!?!?!
    Spiked hot chocolate is not far away. Speaking of spiked, I have an old friend visiting, and we are speaking of old times. Makes me extraordinarily grateful for the new and supportive friends I have found on this site. Love you all. And her, too.....

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

I'd like to think that summer will be over Friday.......

But which Friday?

I'm with Leslie and kfrinkle on this one.

All of you in central and northeastern OK may think summer ends Friday,and for y'all, maybe it will. However, for those of us in southern OK, I think it might not end until next Friday.

As for heavy rain? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. There, I was rolling on the floor laughing. Once again, maybe for y'all up north within the next week or so. For Leslie, kfrinkle and I? (sigh) We'll probably get our standard 0.01, 0.10...or maybe 0.25" within the next week. If all heck breaks loose and a huge thunderstorm hits, maybe we'll even get a half-inch of rain.

Cool temperatures and heavy rain sound great, but I'm not feeling it. Not yet.

Dawn

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

Dawn, don't go raining on our parade. I like the way Scott has taken over. I thank he will be easier to get along with than Mother Nature, he will give us rain when we need it and pretty weather when we want it. Now, just to put a "bug" in his hear to do something about these grasshoppers.

Larry

• scottokla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't be Debbie Downer, Dawn. Think positively! If you don't, we will encourage some injection wells in your area causing earthquakes that make the Red River shift course to your north making your little peninsula become part of Texas! And before you get excited about no income tax, remember how high your property tax will become!

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    9 years ago

Considering that we generally have two seasons not four, I think summer will be over in a couple of months.

We moved to Oklahoma in 1979 from Nashville and Indianapolis before that. In anticipation for winter, and Halloween, I looked for winter coats for the children. I thought the coats were flimsy, and ordered from LL Bean so they could have nice coats. They were too hot.

I bought Halloween costumes in advance, and got nice large ones to be worn over a winter coat. I ended up buying new ones since the weather was so balmy.

It isn't always nice on Halloween, but somewhere in November we seem to move from hot to cold.

We do have isolated fall and spring days, but it seems to me that they are not too common.

OK, this is sort of an exaggeration, but it as inaccurate as it is, this is what I think of our weather. It switches fast.

Sammy

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

All this promise of cooler weather is making Scott frisky! :)

• wxcrawler
    9 years ago

That cold front next Friday looks pretty stout for September. I bet we see 40's for lows with that one.

Lee

• wxcrawler
    9 years ago

That cold front next Friday looks pretty stout for September. I bet we see 40's for lows with that one.

Lee

(not sure how I double-posted....sorry)

This post was edited by wxcrawler on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 13:35

• kfrinkle
    9 years ago

I'm with Dawn here, we are not going to see any cooler weather for a while. Long enough for the SVBs to hatch again I am sure.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

C'mon Y'all, Is the heat and humidity making everyone delirious? We cannot have summer end now.....we still have a little bit of green grass in some places (namely well-fertilized and well-watered ones) that hasn't turned brown yet. We cannot let summer end until all of our vegetation is a toasty brown.

Larry, I'm not raining on anyone's parade.....and if I thought that a parade would bring rain to us down here, I'd run out and organize a local parade really quickly. We could add a tractor section and then everyone from the forum could come participate with their tractors, mowers, etc. A fall fling. Or, an end-of-summer fling.

I just think that a lot of us down here in southern OK live in a really different world than you folks in more northern areas.

Scott, Just keepin' it real for us folks down here, where the high temperature at our house so far today is a very real 97 degrees, although we have some clouds and the temp now has dropped to 95. No matter how I try to dress it up, slice it, dice it or enhance it....I cannot make a 97-degree day feel like fall. Believe me, if I could, I would. You can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig, and our weather still feels summery down here too.

I will pass on to you folks a real sign that fall is coming....all the evil grasshoppers are slowing down the rate at which they are devouring all the plant foliage. Know why? So they can breed and lay eggs. Oh joy! I guess that is so we can have millions more of them around to spend time with us next year. If there is anything worse than seeing big grasshoppers in the garden, it is seeing them there in mating pairs.

Re: Injection wells. Go ahead. I dare you. Give us your best show. True story: A little over a year ago, an injection well opened for business in northern Love County and some little earthquakes began happening shortly thereafter. Some homes had some damage....bricks knocked off homes, chimney issues, TV's falling off the wall, etc. A community meeting about the quakes was held one evening and many frustrated homeowners attended. Because we have some high-class people here in this area, the owner of the land/well voluntarily stopped accepting water to be injected into the ground....and the earthquakes stopped. That was such an incredibly classy move on his part. So, go ahead and hit us with your best shot. No piddly injection well is going to get away with causing trouble here because our folks will find a way to tame that well.

Sammy, I agree on the two-season theory. I don't even know why I have a winter coat because I rarely get to wear it. There are some years I don't wear my heavy coat at all. Sadly, there also are some years that I don't get to wear my mud boots either.

Lee, Please send those cool nights down here. I'm having a hard time remembering what a 40-degree night is like. Heck, I'm having a hard time imagining what a 50-degree night would be like.

kfrinkle, Face it. We live in the land of the hot. The hot and dry. The hot and dry and grasshopper and SVB-plagued. Everyone else will cool off before you and I do. With Leslie being further north, she'll likely have a milder, cooler night before we do although she also warms up before we do in spring. But, remember this: those yankee Oklahomans (that's all you folks north of the Arbuckles) will wake up on their 3rd or 4th consecutive cool morning next week and will be tired of it and wishing for warm weather again. : )

Another way I know that summer hasn't ended? I had the disturbing experience of almost stepping on a timber rattler in our gravel driveway this morning. I'm guessing it was out very early today to beat the heat because it surely is not out there soaking up the heat right now. Oh wait, it isn't anywhere any more....and y'all know why. My son sent it to Timber Rattler Heaven. Or somewhere else....When I start having snake encounters in the early evening hours instead of the morning hours, then I'll believe fall is on the way.

Be careful what we wish for, everyone. I am as happy as anyone else to see cool temperatures arrive and stay that way for a while. By early December, though? I'm tired of the cold weather and ready for it to warm up again. Sadly, the weather at that time of the year is not at all cooperative with me when I decide it is time for Spring to arrive in December.

Have y'all noticed how rarely we appreciate the actual weather and climate we have? We always want for it to be hotter or cooler, wetter or drier, less windy, less stormy, or less drought. (I don't know of anyone who longs for more drought, though....)

Whatever weather we get here, we'll be happy to have it. It isn't like we can change it to suit us anyhow.

Dawn

• scottokla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dawn, I remember the wastewater story so I used it to give you a hard time!

I will kiss summer goodbye tonight and wake up to fall. I'm ready to make fudge!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Eat a piece of fudge for me!

It will be warm enough tomorrow that, if we were making anything, we'd maybe make home-made ice cream or something. Maybe a lemonade icebox pie.

There's another injection well or two....or three....in the process of being developed and I think they go into operation soon. So, maybe our earthquakes will start up again, who knows? Of course, we're hoping they won't.

I might buy into fall weather arriving down here about a week from now. We'll see.

It usually doesn't feel like fall here until we see OU fans driving down the interstate for the OU-UT game. I guess that's still a few weeks away. State fair weather and the OU-UT game....that's when it starts feeling like autumn.

Anyhow, Meteorological autumn began Sept. 1st. and our family usually does consider that the arrival of fall, even if actual fall weather lags behind.

• scottokla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just got in and It's cold outside!

I remember that the temp at the OU-Texas game my freshman year at OU got to 100 degrees at kickoff. October in Dallas.

In my 9 years in DFW I learned that summer is May through September. Unbearable.

Welcome, Fall of 2014!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    9 years ago

Rain and 67 here this am. DH loves it! Being from Colo. he's never gotten used to the heat and humidity.
    Give me the hot weather!!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

That's how I grew up in Fort Worth---summer was endless. I kind of liked that as a kid but don't enjoy the endless summers any more.

Cold, Scott, cold? So, hmmm, maybe 60-something degrees?

It is pleasantly cool outdoors right now at 72 degrees so I'm headed out to get the harvesting done so I can be back inside in time for College Game Day.

Sorie, It all depends on how you define hot. If hot is 90 degrees, I'm happy to have hot weather. Once it hits 95 or 98 or 100, I'm not as happy. My favorite months here are April and October, when the weather is at the perfectly mild and in-between stage where we rarely have to use either the words "cold" or "hot".

My husband grew up in Pennsylvania, where an 85-degree day is a hot summer day but I think he has lived here long enough (34 years) that the heat doesn't bother him as much as it once did.

I hope this cool front brings everyone some cooler air and rain. Just don't expect it to last. We'll be hotter again in a couple of days.

Dawn

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

We have had about 1/8" of rain and it is getting cooler. No fudge yet but I did plant some chocolate chips, should harvest fudge by Thanksgiving.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Larry, I've been doing it wrong all these years---buying chocolate chips and making fudge and NOW you tell me I could have been sowing chocolate chips and growing/harvesting fudge? I'll put that on my To Do list right away.

Dawn

• Nancy Fryhover
    9 years ago

Yeah, the pool is down! No, it was really fun for the grandkids. But grandma had to keep it clean, balanced, etc for use on the weekends. But they had so much fun with it.

Its so good to feel fall coming on and we are planning our escape back to the Big Island this winter...unless the Lava takes our home...our place is just 6 miles north of the flow..anyone else worried about lava taking their winter home?

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Momfryhover, I was wondering how close the lava flow was to your place and hoping it was further away than it seems to be.

I can assure you that I am pretty much 99.9% certain that our place here in Oklahoma is safe from the lava flow.

Keep us posted on how the whole lava flow thing is going.

Dawn

• Nancy Fryhover
    9 years ago

I will Dawn...everyone is really on edge there. Well, if you live on the side of a volcano, an active one, this can happen. Or tornado alley...... Our place is in lava zone 3 on a scale of 1-9. We aren't buying airline tickets until mid october and will be watching the situation.

This post was edited by momfryhover on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 16:02

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Reading your response made me laugh----you have to deal with the prospects of tornadoes, fairly small earthquakes, wild fire, gigantic hail, etc. when you are here, and lava flows and tropical cyclones there (well, if you are there during the time of the year when tropical cyclones are more likely to occur). Y'all like to live (and garden) dangerously (grin).

• Nancy Fryhover
    9 years ago

I know....

• scottokla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought we kicked summer to the curb last Friday!. Oh well, we'll give her a few more hours to gather the rest of her things and then she's gone for good this evening.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

I knew that summer wasn't going to end down here until "possibly" this week, but I am looking forward to the arrival of the cold front tonight. I harvested this morning until I couldn't stand the heat anymore. When I came indoors, the temperature was 91 and the heat index was 97. It surely did not feel like autumn. I hope this is our last hot day of autumn because, so far today, it still feels like summer.....and I'm over it. At this point, summer weather is so undesirable.

I didn't even finish harvesting. I have a good two hours of it left to do, but I just couldn't take the heat out there any more. I am going to watch the Mesonet map as the temperatures drop and when they start to drop here late this afternoon or early in the evening, I'm going to run out to the garden and finish harvesting before the forecasted rain gets here.

Yesterday we celebrated the end of summer by having Lemonade Icebox pie for dessert after dinner. I hope we didn't celebrate prematurely. If I see a 90+ degree day in next week's forecast, I am going to throw a good, old-fashioned temper tantrum.

• scottokla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yesterday was uncomfortable, but I can handle one afternoon if it means the front is on its way. The weekend was great. Monday was nice. Tomorrow will be great and then the bigger cool-down by Saturday means a perfect weekend!

I bought enough ingredients to make 4 batches of fudge, and Saturday is the day. It will be in the 40s here.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

I can only dream of the 40s., I hope the fudge is yum, yum, yummy.

So far today, and I don't think it will get worse, our high temp/heat index at the Burneyville mesonet station topped out at 100 degrees and a heat index of 106, and we hit a high temp of 102 (our current temperature right now) here at our house. Uncomfortable isn't even the right word, but I'll go with it because it is more polite than the words I'm thinking.

I've been in the kitchen canning. It would have been smarter to put off all the canning until tomorrow when it will be cooler, but there's too much to do and I'll still be canning tomorrow. I was afraid if I postponed all of it until tomorrow then I'd never get it all done.

Storms are popping up as the front approaches, but so far none of them are close enough to us for me to think we'll get rain before dark. I still want to go out to the garden and finish today's harvesting, but I'm not gonna do it until we drop below 100 degrees.

• scottokla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hopefully the really hot days are over for you now, Dawn.

We don't have anything in the forecast even close to 90 so maybe you will stay in the low 90s or better from now on.

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

It is nice here also, plus the rain gauge says a little over 4"

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

I was outside harvesting when the front arrived and it was gloriously breezy and cool in just a few minutes. The temperature fell from 100 to 87 while I was out there, and then fell to 77 after the rain fell. We got 0.25".

Scott, I truly believe (and hope) that yesterday was the last gasp of summer weather here. After the second cold front pushes through, we will have a near-perfect weekend---especially tomorrow when the forecast high/low temps are 69/56.

Larry, Four inches? In one day? Wow. We'd be tickled pink if we got 4" of rain in one month.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

You should be wet right about now. At least, a little!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

We have had some rain and thunder (perhaps more thunder than rain) and it is a lovely 64 degrees with no rain falling here right now. We're headed for a high around 70, so even if no more rain fell at all, it is going to be a really nice day. Our forecast gives us a 100% chance of rain today and a 30% chance tonight, so I'm hopeful. We've been in drought for so many months that it is getting ridiculous, but if we could get 1 or 2 of those big rainfall days like Larry gets, we might finally make it out of drought. That's a really big 'if' though. The storms look good on the radar, but they are patchy and we're apparently in a dry slot right now.

Autumn rain that falls between Sept and Nov is our best chance for making it out of drought, so I'm hoping for lots of rain. I was in my back garden killing squash bugs yesterday and, despite having decent rain the last couple of weeks, there's new cracks in the sandy soil back there. By new, I mean they just appeared yesterday......it aggravates me that an area that receives irrigation and that has received probably 13-15" of rain since the beginning of June still is cracking.

The grass greened up a little and we have helenium, liatris and goldenrod blooming in the fields, so it looks kinda nice out there right now...if you just ignore the cracks in the ground.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Well as long as they aren't cracks that Ol' Betsy will fall into as she meanders across the fields...it's all good ;)

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

I gardened in their cool rain, yesterday. (Might regret that as I *cough*)

I'm still trying to figure out the moisture content in my garden. It contains so much grading activity, it's confusing. In some barren places I see cracking, but I think these are erosion sites at the base tree lines on the edge of the property. The convex portion of the garden is trying to crack. The convex, of course where the pumpkins are is unamended but in good shape.

I pulled the corn yesterday and see my very first REAL garden bed. I cannot believe this soil. Of course, I amended it heavily last fall. Mr. Coleman deep tilled all in the spring. Then, the corn roots (and some tree roots) did their jobs and it just looks outstanding. In fact, I have never seen such soil in my life except for pictures online. And it puts to task some of those I've seen.

I'm seeing how trees hold in moisture. Plus, I have a makeshift swale/walkway in front of this bed.