Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I.D. sweet potato

Posted by slowpoke_gardener 6/7 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 22:54

I may have ask this question last year, if so please forgive me. My wife found two sweet potato plants that we like very well. She bought the only two at the nursery and they had no name tag in them. I saved potatoes and started more from slips this year. I would like to know what they are so I can order more if I loose these. I have never seen sweet potatoes bloom like these, and the bees seem to love them. I have heard that sweet potatoes and morning glories are in the same, from looking at these blooms I could argue against that.

Larry

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I.D. sweet potato

Larry,

They sure are blooming beautifully this year.

I do remember when you asked this question last year, and my best guess is that it might be an ornamental sweet potato cutleaf variety named Lady Fingers.

There are many other cutleaf varieties of ornamental sweet potatoes, though, and I don't pretend to be able to identify them all. It is just that of the cutleaf varieties I've grown, yours most resembles either Lady Fingers or one of the Sweet Caroline cutleaf types. There's a total of at least 14 different Sweet Caroline varieties, and more are released almost every year so it also could be one of the newer Sweet Caroline varieties.

I'm going to link an article below because a photo in that article has several Sweet Potato varieties featured, including Sweet Caroline Light Green and Sweet Caroline Bronze. There's several other colors in that specific line but they all have the same basic leaf shape.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornamental Sweet Potatoes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here