Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
critchlow1_gw

Time to put the garden to bed.

critchlow1
10 years ago

Only the tomatoes are still producing. Watermelons are not very tasty, and I am ready to give it up for the season. My question is what do I do next?

Take a nap? LOL

Comments (8)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Take a nap, wake up, then plant some fall stuff, LOL. You cant stop gardening. Its in our blood to always have something to fuss over. hahaha.

Mike

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

That's the ticket, Mike.

I'm kinda-sorta waiting for temps to drop a bit more so that I can plant some cabbages and broccoli and such. One bed is ready for them, with another that needs to be turned over.

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

I am putting my garden to bed because most everything has died from lack of water and insect damage. My pumpkin and winter squash count is up to over 300 pounds with about that many more left to harvest. After the garden is taken care of I hope I can get back to my building project.

Larry.

Picture shows part of my porch and most of Pumpkin/ squash, both new projects for this year.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    10 years ago

WOW what a great looking harvest!

• toucan2
    10 years ago

WOW is right......I'm envious. Can't ever seem to get my fill of butternut squash. Being as I just lost what little hope I had left for my summer squash to SVB and spider mites, I'm already envisioning a garden spot for next year's winter squash.

• critchlow1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You all are hard core. . . . make me feel like a sissy. OK, maybe I was giving up too early. I do love broccoli. Anyone tell me about growing asparagus in Oklahoma?

Larry, you are impressive! I wish I had known how important gardening would be when I chose my husband at 20 years old. I thought being a good kisser who liked to dance was all I needed! Silly girl.

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

critchlow1, all men have to be trained. There is nothing wrong with being a good kisser and loving to dance, and there are many ways to swing a hoe and plant seed in the garden. Maybe you could modify your gardening exercise to include golf shoes to dance in to prep the next planting area, a blanket for the mulch pile, a cold bottle of wine and a can of Off. I think with the proper exercises Hubby will be out in the garden, with hoe in hand every morning before daybreak, ready to get started.

I have to get started before daylight because my garden is beside a busy HWY and those air horns and jake brakes are real mood killers.

On another note, I did pick 115 lbs of butternut yesterday. My oldest daughter is coming over today and we will dig some sweet potatoes and pick some Seminole pumpkins. My step daughter is coming tomorrow and we will do the same. It will still be a long time before I can use my right arm, so I need a lot of help with the garden.

Larry

• critchlow1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh Larry, you did make me laugh. A bottle of wine and a can of OFF is exactly the ticket!!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Stephanie