Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamchesbay

ISO Advice about Growing Sweet Potatoes

Pamchesbay
11 years ago

I've been reading Larry's thread about his sweet potato harvest. I'm growing sweet potatoes for the first time, have questions about what to expect, and what I can do to improve my harvest.

Background: Last spring, inspired by stories I read in this forum about growing sweet potatoes, I contacted Gary at Duck Creek Farm. We discussed my soil and growing conditions (ideal for sweet potatoes, they are a big cash crop in this part of Virginia), I ordered 14 varieties. I decided to do trials to find out which varieties we liked, and which grew best here. Before the plants arrived, I made three 30-35' raised beds about 10-12" high, 10" wide, and 4' apart. I laid cardboard between the rows to suppress weeds and keep the vines from rooting.

On June 13, I planted about 100 sweet potato plants (thank you Gary!). I used newspaper and grass clippings as mulch. Within a couple of weeks, the plants were growing strong and sending vines out everywhere. Temps this summer were normal hot. We got some rain. Deer got into the garden once, ate all the sweet potato leaves. I panicked, hit the Internet, and read stories from other people with deer issues. The sweet potatoes recovered very fast.

On Sept 21, I pulled up a couple of plants (Bugs Bunny) and harvested 5 potatoes (1 was 1.25 lbs, 4 were 6-10 oz). The plants had lots of skinny roots so I decided to give them more time. Tonight, I cut the vines on five varieties (Centennial, Cordner's Red, Norton, Carolina Ruby, 8633) and looked for tubers. I found several large potatoes (over 1 lb). Most plants had a couple of small tubers, and/or long skinny roots, or lots of thin white roots and no tubers that I could find.

Since sweet potatoes are a new crop for me, I don't know what to expect. I have questions ...

- What is a good harvest?

- Do most of your plants make big tubers? How big? How many tubers per plant is good?

- Do many of your plants have long skinny roots?

- How much of a factor is the sweet potato variety?

- Should I have cut the vines back during the growing season?

- Would cutting the vines give the plants more energy to use in making tubers?

Tonight, I cut the vines off about half the crop, didn't get any potatoes from at least half the plants that had long skinny roots. Our first frost is usually mid to late November. Would you recommend leaving them in the ground for a few more weeks, or until we have frost warnings?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to provide all the info I could think of. ;-)

Comments (6)

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Pam, I know nothing about growing sweet potatoes, but I will tell you what I have done. I have had 2 years when I got long skinny roots, and some plants had nothing but a bushy root system under them. Both of those years I had soil pretty high in organic matter, plus I water too much.
    I have also noticed that I get poor quality roots when I let the plants get to dry for to long, they start growing again and split.

I have had pretty good luck keeping deer out of my potatoes by using an electric fence. I now just string one wire low enough to step over, I will say no more than 3 feet high. I had one deer jump over the fence this year and get a few leaves. I just tied another wire and ran it zig-zag over the potatoes so when the deer jumped the wire it would land on the next wire. That only happened one night, I expect something on the under side of a deer is very tender to electricity. Try not to make the fence look like something that the deer sees as a problem, you want it to walk up and touch it. I have even thought of pressing a little peanut butter into a screen and hanging it on the fence.

I also have my electric fence so I can lift the wire up to about 6.5 feet into another set of holders so I can walk in and out of the garden anywhere when the wire raised. If the wire is down low you run the risk of falling on it.
    If you fall on one when it is on it makes your undies wet.

Larry

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

Pam I will try to show you a picture of sweet potatoes that have had to good of care. This is the second year for this area in the south garden, and because of it being new I amended it a lot. I also have a water line running to this garden. Because of family health issues I left the irrigation tubes turned on and turned the water off at the outside faucet, thinking that each time my wife watered her flowers my sweet potatoes would also get a drink. I was gone a lot helping sick family members. As it turned out my wife watered her flowers more than I expected, which meant my potatoes also got more water than I had expected.

The picture will show long skinny roots and low yield.

Larry

• mulberryknob
    11 years ago

We've grown sweet potatoes casually for several years. I say casually because we plant them, water when dry and wait til a light frost kills the vines to dig them. In the past we've grown sweets that weighed 5-6 lbs and single hills that produced 8-10 lbs. We don't like potatoes that big because there's just the two of us, but in a year when the deer left the vines alone we got that. Also got a harvest of almost 200 lbs from a 50 ft row. Larry posted the pic of the harvest that year. I think it was 2010. Our soil is medium clay, gardened for almost 30 years, but we never fertilize sweets. We do rotate them into the bed where the corn was in alternate years and always spread the chicken litter--with woodshavings--onto the corn beds every November. This year was so very dry that even with irrigation the vines didn't grow nearly as large as they usually do. The deer ate about half the row once, then we spread blood meal and hair to discourage them. We have not dug any yet since it hasn't frosted yet. I'll be back with a harvest report when we do.

• Pamchesbay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dawn, Larry, and Dorothy: Ya'll gave me an excellent education today!

Dawn - My soil is close to perfect for sweet potatoes. Soil is sandy, pH: 5.6, organic matter 6.1. (Soil is described as "weathered" in state publications).
    Farmerdilla grew up in this area - he said "In my youth, sweet potatoes were commonly relegated to newly cleared land (Newground)."

Gary is great - he's patient and gave me helpful advice. He said "You are in the heart of sweet potato production country and all should do well in your area ... a good sandy loam suits them well."

I think you described my situation when you wrote: "Sweet potatoes grown in poor sandy loam soils tend to produce low yields of smooth, high quality ..."

I didn't add fertilizer. I watered early on, but only when soil was very dry. I read that you shouldn't water within two weeks of harvesting. Also read that sweets put on a lot of growth 3-4 weeks before the first frost. These are things you learn from experience.
    Varieties: I used info you posted from your trials and trials from Duck Creek and Kerr Center to help me decide what to order from Gary. If I hadn't read your posts, I would never have learned about Bugs bunny! So far, Bugs Bunny is tied with Centennial and I'm just getting started.

RE: cutting the vines. I saw a photo of a man who trimmed sweet potato vines by riding around the growing area on a lawn tractor. I'll continue to experiment - they are easy to grow here, and they are such beautiful plants! We love sweet potatoes and eat so many, it's a wonder that our skin isn't orange. We have 3 dogs - they love sweet potatoes too!
    Larry, you know that old saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words?" The photo you posted gave me a reality check. I'll post a couple of photos at the end of this message - you'll see why.

Dorothy, thanks for the common sense advice. If I got 200 lbs from 50' of row, I'd be over the moon!

I know which varieties are "early, mid-season, and late" but realized that this doesn't mean I have to harvest them according to a predetermined schedule. I don't want to grow 5-7# sweets either! The biggest in yesterday's harvest was close to two lbs - that's big enough. I think some of the larger sweets started life as two potatoes that grew together.

I was going to ask about crop rotation - you answered my question.

After deer got into the garden and ate the leaves, we gave our dogs summer haircuts - three 60+ pound dogs have a lot of fur that is now around the sweet potatoes.

Now for the photos.

1. Digging under first plant (Centennial):

2. Biggest potato from yesterday's harvest:

3. First day harvest - checked 15-20% of plants. I'll leave most of the plants in the ground until we get closer to a frost:

Thank you!!

• jdlaugh
    11 years ago

I harvested the last four sweet potato plants from my garden yesterday, and got this batch of potatoes. They were grown from one potato I bought at the super market, so no idea of the variety. Some were foot-ball size! Not an overwhelming harvest, but not terrible. The vines did cover a big area of the garden, to the point of being annoying.

In previous years I used a compact variety from Duck Creek. I'm going that route again next year. They take up less space and give me more consistent, smaller potatoes that are a nice size for single-serve baking.

Those are Seminole pumpkins on the left.