Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cottonseed Hulls as Garlic Mulch? Yea or nay?

Posted by Sancho_Panza_OK 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 1:59

I'll be trying my first raised bed of garlic this fall, and I have a spare bag of cottonseed hull mulch from Stillwater Milling. Does anyone know if this is a good/bad mulch for garlic? Many thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cottonseed Hulls as Garlic Mulch? Yea or nay?

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a reason why you shouldn't use it. How well it works might vary depending on your location. Some people in windy, exposed locations feel like cottonseed hull mulch blows around too much. Other people who get very heavy rainfall at times have had issues with it washing away easily. However, both of those issue happen with some other forms of mulch too.

In general, cottonseed hulls make a good mulch. However, if you open the bag and it smells bad (a common problem 5 or 10 years ago but not so much today), I wouldn't use it around edible plants.

The quality of cottonseed hulls, in terms of them being chemical-free, has long been an issue, but it depends on the geographic area in which the cotton was grown. For as long as I can remember, and I'd say this dates back to at least the late 1980s, cotton ginning-related by-products from cotton grown in TX or OK were preferred. Why? Because cotton growers here don't have to use chemical defoliants like they do in some warmer climates. Here, the cold arrives early enough to do the job, so gin by-products from this region have been considered 'cleaner' or 'less toxic' than those from some other areas that must rely on chemical defoliants. Also, there has been some moderation in the amounts and types of chemicals used while growing cotton, and organic cotton has become more in demand too, so I feel like cotton gin by-products probably contain very low levels of chemical residue nowadays compared to 10 or 15 years ago.

Regarding the bad odor, that was occurring if cotton byproducts were too wet when bagged. Once the producers began waiting for the byproducts to dry out before they were bagged, a lot of the odor issues went away.

Hope this helps,

Dawn

o

Thanks, Dawn!

o

Sancho Panza,

You're welcome!

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here