Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

Rain Again

elkwc
11 years ago

We received at least 3 different cells move through from 11 last evening till a few hours ago. I looked at the gauge in the dark and have at least 1.5 inches. Some of it came hard and the first had some hail. So thankful for what we received. Another true blessing. This moved me just over 12 inches for the year. If we receive another .35 it will be the most I've received in an year in five years. I had just less than half of my garlic in. Wish all of it would of been in. Hope everyone else receives some needed rain. Our burn ban has been lifted. With this maybe our drought index will drop some again. A lot of the winter wheat is planted and up. Hopefully we will get some ground cover to prevent blowing this winter. Jay

Comments (16)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That's wonderful rainfall news, Jay. I'm so glad you got a good rainfall. I hope the hail wasn't too damaging. Woo hoo! At the rate things are going, you may end up with 13-15" for the year. Wouldn't that be incredible?

Our chance of rain is higher tonight than during the daytime hours today, so we're hoping for some rainfall here too, and hopefully without the high wind and hail that is in the forecast.

Dawn

• elkwc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dawn after sunrise when I could read the sun faded gauge better I had 1.65. The WUG site 4 miles NW of me had an official 1.92. The rain was heavier the further north you went. Not far south of town they received 2-5 tenths. Boise City had 2.65. It slid off to the north. I've seen a few stating over 2 inches in town but think they are going by guessitmation instead of gauge reading. Still a very nice rain. Hopefully it is a sign of El Nino and will continue for a spell. Jay

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

Jay, I am glad you got rain. We got 2.03" yesterday. I really was not ready for it because I had more planting to do, plus I have lawns to mow. I had planned to plant kale, turnips, radishes and a cover crop. It seems as though I am at least a day late and a dollar short on everything.

I should pick the last of my summer peas today. The last of my garlic was planted 2 days ago. Other than being late the garden (what is left of it) is doing good.

Larry

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

We have had about 1.3 at our house this week, but can see the possibility of a little more.

• teach_math
    11 years ago

I had 1.1 at in my gauge. Im betting we get a little more tonight. Hopefully without the severe weather they have been talking about though. I'm actually pretty happy about where we are right now as far as rain fall. Most of the creeks and ponds seem to be up to reasonable levels now. Not full be any means, but reasonable.

Josh

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Jay, I saw that rainfall for Boise City on the Mesonet rain map and was thinking it was a shame you didn't get as much as they received. Still, any rain is good and so very welcome.

It is cloudy and windy here and those clouds full of moisture are just flying over our heads and headed towards central and northern OK. Somebody should get some good rain today! Hopefully tonight we'll get some here. Most of the local creeks and ponds that still have or have had water in them continue to dry up, and it is going to take a lot of rain to fill them back up again. Ours have been dry for so long that I think I've forgotten what they look like with water in them. Our long-empty big pond looks like a pasture with tall grass and tree seedlings growing in it now.

Larry, I've got most of the winter crops in but have been waiting for rain before I plant spinach since it is going to go into the sandy soil in new ground that we just broke and fenced this past spring. Without good rainfall, I won't be able to get enough moisture in that sandy soil for the seeds to sprout. If we don't get good rainfall soon, all I'll have is the spinach in containers for the greenhouse because I won't be able to get it growing in the ground in time.

I noticed today that a lot of the farmers around us have plowed their wheat fields, but so far I don't see any wheat sprouting. I guess they didn't have their seed in the ground before we got that good rainfall two weeks ago. I am assuming they may have seeded the fields yesterday or this morning in the hope that we'll get enough rain for it to sprout and grow. It seems harder every year to work with the weather we've got.

I'm watching football (OU-TX, of course) right now, but planning on running out to the garden at half-time to pick southern peas for dinner tonight. I want to get any that are ready in case we get hail tonight. For my fall garden, hail would be a disaster so I hope it doesn't happen. The fall snap peas all are in bloom and producing and we're going to have a great fall harvest if hail doesn't ruin it for us.

All of you who are in central OK and north-central OK---I hope you're watching this weather. TWC's Dr. Forbes has given your area a TorCon of 5 for today/tonight.

Dawn

• Macmex
    11 years ago

Since Friday, I believe we've received about 4 to 4 1/2 inches of rain. Some of our neighbors' ponds were empty and someone dropped by, yesterday, and told me that all the neighbors' ponds have been filled to the brim.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

We got 3.1" from Fri afternoon till this morning. I dont know of any ponds that were dry around here, but many were low.

Dawn, I planted radishes, turnips, and sugar peas yesterday. I have not been able to find my kale seeds. I also have a pretty good crop of corn coming up, but I doubt that I have 90 days of warm weather left before frost. This is a spot in the south garden, which I have just now started cleaning and tilling, Peaches and Cream corn was there before.

Larry

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

George, That is such terrific news.

We only received a half-inch of rain here, and our ponds are still empty and dry, but I still appreciate that half-inch.

Dawn

• MiaOKC
    11 years ago

1.9" in my rain gauge since Friday in NW Okc. Whoohoo!

• teach_math
    11 years ago

2.1 more inches of rain yesterday after noon and night. Bringing the grand total for these last 2 (or has it been 3 days now I can't remember) of rain up to 3.2 inches! Everything is soaked its crazy!

Josh

• shallot
    11 years ago

The Norman mesonet says 0.41 inches as the 3-day rainfall for Norman, but I'm sure we've had more than that in our yard. We don't have a proper gauge (but we should, our house has 3 meteorologists! Lol!) but the buckets that got left out had at least 1.25 inches in. Anyhow, I am thankful for the rain! Yesterday we planted out 40 sugar snap seedlings and today we planted out 40 more, and some beets.

• MiaOKC
    11 years ago

1.9" in my rain gauge since Friday in NW Okc. Whoohoo!

• scottokla
    11 years ago

Less than .1 here. We have been almost shut out in the last two big rainfall events. Unbelievably dry still, but at least the trees have 4+ months before it matters again.

• mulberryknob
    11 years ago

1.6 in. Friday and 1.7 Saturday gave us the most rainfall in the shortest time since early June. There's nothing left in the garden except a few peppers, but it's nice not to have to water the perrenials.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Larry, While I agree that you likely won't have enough days to get a corn crop...you might. What if this is the year that your first killing freeze is extraordinarily late? It never hurts to take a risk and plant early or late in the hope that, for once, the weather will cooperate.

Do you know when you'll find your kale seeds? If you're like me, you'll find them the day after you've completely given up on planting kale. Or, you'll find them the day after you buy another package of seed. It happens to me every time.

I just finished ordering my cool season seeds for 2013. Now I'll work on my grow list of warm-season varieties and order the seed for them. I like to work ahead of the season so that I am not sitting around watching the mailbox at planting time because some of my seeds haven't arrived.

My fall garden is doing great. The plants that were planted for fall are really reaching a good size now. The broccoli, kale, Swiss chard, beets and cabbage that went into the ground earliest are huge. Everything else is a little farther behind, but all these crops are so cold-hardy that I'm not worried they won't have time to mature. The southern peas and bush beans should produce at least through late October, or possibly early November and the pepper plants and squash still are setting fruit, but we're getting late enough into fall that I don't know if any of the late-setting winter squash will mature.

The half-inch of rain we received wasn't really enough, so I'll likely water the garden today.

The lettuce went into the ground and containers later than the broccoli and other stuff did since it is so heat-sensitive, but some of it is now large enough to start harvesting using the cut-and-come again method.

I kinda went crazy with kale--planting not only several varieties of edible kale, but also planting some ornamental varieties. Well, technically, all the ornamental varieties are edible but I grow them only as ornamentals. Their leaves do make a lovely garnish. Sometime this winter, I am going to seed more ornamental kale for late winter/early spring. I only planted purple and white varieties of ornamental kale for fall/winter, but for winter/spring I want to plant some of the red and pink ones.

Shallot, The grasshoppers have eaten my sugar snap peas down to the ground repeatedly, and each time they did that, fewer and fewer plants grew back so I don't have an expectation of getting a big harvest from them. In a bad grasshopper year like this year has been, it is really challenging to get the fall plants growing well because of the hoppers. We have had two very cold nights--one night hit 34 degrees and the next night it hit 29 degrees, and those cold nights have really reduced the grasshopper population, but there's still too many. I have my lettuce growing under floating row covers in order to keep the hoppers off of them, and those grasshoppers sit there on top of the row cover (which is suspended over hoops) all day trying to figure out how to get to the lettuce plants.

Scott, It still is unbelievably dry here too and we had modest rain this past weekend, but wonderful rain a couple of weeks ago. You cannot tell it rained....the ground is still badly cracked, and to me it looks like the cracks are actually getting wider. The pond has been dry so long that sometimes I wonder if it ever will have water in it again.

Dorothy, At least y'all are finally getting some really good rainfall totals. I know you still have a long way to go in terms of having enough rain to mitigate the effects of the long months of drought.

For a while I was thinking that we might get enough autumn rain to bring our year-to-date today up near our annual average. I've pretty much given up on that idea.

Dawn