Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What in the world?

Posted by MiaOKC 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 11:50

I went outside this morning and needed to use the hose. I was getting ready to attach the little-used sprayer to the end and I noticed what looked like green leaves in the connector. I banged it on a the patio for a minute, thinking I could dislodge an errant leaf that had someone gotten blown in there. A leaf fell out, but I saw another leaf was still in there. I banged again, and another leaf fell out, but sure enough, there was still another inside. I decided to take the quick connect adapter off and push the leaves out with my finger, and as soon as I unscrewed the adapter a long tube of packed-in leaves fell out of the spray gun cavity!!

At the far end, it looks like older, more decayed leaves, and the subsequent newer leaves are nested into it and at the outlet are the most new, green and fresh leaves.

I feel like this has something to do with a bug, or caterpillar, or butterfly or something. I'm not sure how long it's been since I used the sprayer, probably a month. What say you, o wise ones? Curiosity burns within me!

what in the world?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What in the world?

Mia, That's certainly an odd thing to find in your sprayer, isn't it? My best guess is that it might be leaf-cutter bees or even Texas leaf-cutting ants. The temperatures lately have been in exactly the range that Texas leaf-cutter ants prefer. However, if you don't see any little ant mounds around the area where the sprayer is located, I think it more likely is leaf-cutter bees.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas leaf-cutting Ants

This post was edited by okiedawn on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 13:16

o

That is the reason my irrigation tubes have screw-on cap on them, so I can blow the crud out of them.

o

Thanks, Dawn, I think you are correct with leaf-cutter bees guess. I googled photos and they seem to be a pretty close match. Thanks for solving a garden mystery!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here