Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT: TWC To Name Strongest Winter Storms

Posted by okiedawn Z7 OK (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 12:17

Well, I suppose anything that is about the weather is not truly off-topic because weather affects everything we gardeners do, but I tagged this OT anyway.

Today The Weather Channel announced it will name the most severe winter storms. I think I like this idea as long as they reserve the names for the truly worst storms. This way, if a severe winter storm wreaks havoc, we'll have a name for the storm and can use it years from now to refer back to the storm. Like "Hey, y'all, do you remember what Luna did to us in March of 2013 right at planting time? A foot of snow!"....or whatever. lol It will be easier than referring back to the Tulsa ice storm of 2010 or the central OK snow storm of 2008 or whatever, especially in years with multiple bad storms. Since we are not famous here for especially brutal winter storms, we may not get hit by many of the ones they name.

The names are interesting, to say the least....nothing as simple as Tom, Dick or Harry. I have linked the list for the upcoming winter below.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter 2012-2013 Storm Names From TWC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT: TWC To Name Strongest Winter Storms

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 18:04

they seriously cant be serious about a few of those.

Yogi=people who do yoga
Freyr= Norse god associated with "fair weather", a severe storm named after a god of fair weather.

i dont know seems a bit, Harry Potter/Lord of the ring ish to me.

Going thru the 2010 Ice storm I can vouch that It should be named something.
Im an electrician and I remember hooking up people's downed lines in the rain and sleet not knowing if PSO was going to energize their part. Fortunately my house was only out for half a day but some of our customers in Mid Town Tulsa were out for 2 weeks.

Mike

o

Mike,

I agree with your comments about Yogi and Freyr.

How about Q? Was that really the best they could do?

Rocky? A single mountain. (sigh)

When I started reading the list of names, I checked the calendar to make sure today wasn't April 1st.

I still like the idea of naming the really severe winter storms, but the list of names seems like it is about as odd as they could make it.

We have been incredibly fortunate in terms of ice storms. We've lived here since 1999 and our longest power outage ever has lasted two hours. One year there was a pretty severe ice storm that hit Marietta and did a lot of damage to trees, but we are several miles south of Marietta, and the closest the storm got to us was a couple of miles north. Every year I wonder if this is the year that our luck with ice storms will run out.

Dawn

o

It might be preferable to the "storm of the century" that the tv channels call them :)

Lisa

o

There's a Stephen King movie by that name, Lisa! LOL!

I like Zeus - the Hammer, God of the Sky - for the name of a storm. I like using mythological names. Nemo, however, brings to my mind, a cute little clown fish.

Susan

o

Lisa, That's a valid point, and it always makes me wonder just how many "storm of the century" storms we can have in one century too!

Susan, Same here. For anyone who remembers the animated Nemo from the movie, it is going to be really hard to listen to them refer to a wicked winter storm as Nemo.

Dawn

o

This is what happens when marketing folks drive content at TWC. Terrible idea, IMHO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here