Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

So is this the big rain that actually pans out?

scottokla
9 years ago

Todays precip forecast (for next 7 days) shows the potential for areas of 4 inch rainfall in the eastern third of the state, with the middle third at 1 to 3 inch potential.

The American Model is not as bullish, but the Euro is usually more accurate and is the one with the excessive rain prediction Friday through Monday.

It's been 2.5 years since we had a rain of three inches from one system. A little flooding would not bother me much.

Comments (18)

• johnnycoleman
    9 years ago

My cover crop (cereal rye, hairy vetch and tillage radish) got about .25 inch. It is dancing for joy right now.

PIX will follow in a week or so.

• wxcrawler
    9 years ago

Let's see if the GFS starts trending wetter tomorrow. I'm kind of expecting that.

Lee

• OklaMoni
    9 years ago

I bet it will pan out.. as in plenty of moisture for everyone... cause almost all my cycling friends are planning a camping/cycling weekend, this coming weekend... at Okmulgee State Park.

Yes, I have plans to go!

No, not cancelling... or at least, not this early, after all, we do need the rain. :)

Moni

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Scott,

I have a good feeling that this time you'll get the rain. I don't know that you'll get as much as they say, but rain is rain.

This is based on a gut feeling. I haven't looked at models or anything. It is autumn and even down here we have had some decent October rainfall already, so I'm in a "positive thinking" frame of mind.

Dawn

• mulberryknob
    9 years ago

Got just under an inch here in Adair Co.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

I hope you do, Scott. I Know you need it.

That's good to hear, Dawn!

We cannot complain in our little fishbowl.

• scottokla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Over two inches here. The next round could be heavy but it is difficult getting good expert updates on the weather models over the weekend. It will likely come through here before or just after daybreak Monday morning. Another quick two inch rain will make a huge impact on our ponds because we are totally saturated in the top 2 feet of soil right now. Regardless, we are now safe until next March even without any big rains.

• OklaMoni
    9 years ago

I came home early. To much wetness for a decent bicycle ride. Much warmer, sunny too here at home. Have 1.2 inches of rain in my gauge.

I am happy.

Moni

• oldbusy1
    9 years ago

I wound up with roughly 7" in the last few days. Ponds are looking good, creeks are running and hopefully the grasshoppers are drowning.

• mulberryknob
    9 years ago

Over 10" here in Adair county since last Tuesday when we got almost an inch.

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

I emptied the rain gauge out today with 5" in it. That was about 3 days worth and it looks like we may be getting more in a few days. It is about too wet to do anything outside.

• scottokla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We totaled about 3.5 inches at the house and farm. Not enough to fill the ponds, but enough to saturate the soil and get us to within 10 inches of a normal total for a year. From the trees' perspective they are good to go until late winter with only some scattered half inch rains between now and then to keep the clover alive. A small flood would still be useful to totally saturate the 10' plus of soil, but it's not going to happen any time soon and would just cause harvest problems now anyway.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

For us, this actually was the big rain that panned out. We got slightly over an inch last week and then another 3.1" overnight Sunday night into Monday, for a total of 4.13". That brings us to about 27" for the year, which is so wonderful considering that at the end of May we were sitting there with about 6" for the whole year.

The 3.1" rainfall was fast and furious and a lot of it ran off, but the ponds were pretty much empty anyway so they still don't have much in them. The creeks ran pretty good for a few hours. There are big puddles everywhere that we have clay, but not in the few spots where we have a sandy/silty blend. The frogs have loved the moisture and the few inches of water that one pond has collected and have been croaking happily day and night.

I don't know that we'll get enough rainfall over the next 2.5 months to bring us up to our average annual rainfall of 38-40", but then, in May, I wouldn't have thought we'd have as much rain through mid-October as we have had, so you never know. Regardless, we're in better shape prior to the arrival of freezing weather than we thought we'd be, so I have no complaints.

• elkwc
    9 years ago

Not near the large amounts many have listed but I emptied another 1.50 last weekend which puts me at 18.60 inches for the year. Some areas around have went over 20 inches. So what a difference a year makes. The garden has really enjoyed it.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

The nice thing is that there's still a couple of months left in the year, Jay, and you still might get more rain. Isn't that a wonderful thought?

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Dawn,

I'm so happy to read you got rain - you too Jay and Scott. I've been too busy to watch closely. We're soaked and I cannot work the ground. That's all I know. I need to buy a rain gauge.

bon

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Thanks, Bon .We sure needed it. We were starting to have more grass fires, including the kind that start in multiple spots along the interstate when a truck has a tire that is shredding and sending pieces of burning rubber through the air. Ironically, we were paged out to a fire during the worst of the downpour and then the next morning when we woke up and turned on our fire radios, other VFDs at the western end of the county were out on a hay bale fire. All we could guess was that maybe lightning struck a hay bale and set it on fire. For the last couple of days, we've been blissfully fire-free but it has been too wet to really do anything outdoors. I'm going to try to work in the garden all day tomorrow because it is supposed to be gorgeous and warm (forecast high of 85 degrees).

I'm glad you got rain, even though I know it is frustrating to be unable to work the ground.

We still have oodles of grasshoppers, but I can see their numbers are falling a little every week. I'll be glad when the day comes that I can report I saw no grasshoppers that day. We still have squash bugs as well and I am tired of them.

Dawn

• elkwc
    9 years ago

Dawn this has been an odd year. Things have either done well or poorly and nothing in between. I had no squash bugs this year. Only a few tomato hornworms and they were late after the plants were huge. They never hurt the vines as they were so big so left them alone. Might of been a half dozen total. All from mid August till mid Sept. But the grasshoppers were worse than I have seen them for at least 20 years. They ate a lot of the beans, tomatoes and a few other things. You can tell when the heat of August hit. The tomatoes and peppers that bloomed then didn't set so had a lull when it became the time frame they would of ripened. But can't complain. I grew a heirloom okra from western OK that I was impressed with. The pods stay tender even when large. Also some of the Heavy Hitter okra did ok. Will be saving seeds of both.