Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sorie6

cannas

sorie6 zone 6b
10 years ago

Can I plant them now? A lady gave me some today and I don't want to kill them!! Never had them before so help!! Thanks

Comments (7)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

i wouldnt. I would cut off the top the growth and store the rhizome in a cool dry dark place. Thats how I store the ones I am wanting to relocate. Come spring you can either plant them after the last frost or start them in a sunny window to get a head start.

Mine overwinter no problem in the ground here in bixby once established.

What kinds did you get?

Mike

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No clue but here are 2 pics?

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Second one. Can you tell me what they are? thanks

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

I'm guessing Tropicanna and Tropicanna Gold. You will need to wait until they flower next year and see how tall they get and what color they bloom to tell for sure, but that's my gut guess because those are two fairly common varieties.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

I agree with Mike that the best option for you, since you are in zone 6, would be to store them in a cool, dry place over the winter and plant them next spring. If you could know "for sure" that the coming winter would be a mild to average one, you likely could put them in the ground now. However, there's a 50% chance it will be a colder-than-average winter, and I don't think that cannas without a well-established root system would survive a significantly colder than average winter in your area. However, one year I dug up a bunch to divide them in early fall, and never got around to replanting them because we got busy with autumn wildfires. Eventually the wheelbarrow the clumps of rhizomes were sitting in fell over on the ground in an area under the pecan tree that grows in sandy soil west of our veggie garden. There the rhizomes set (probably under the pecan leaves that eventually fell on top of them) all winter long and I forgot about them. The following spring, the rhizomes sprouted and grews, and those plants are still there. I never did go back and cover the rhizomes with soil. I guess as they began growing that first spring, they literally planted themselves. I should point out I am in zone 7, and it was an unusually warm and dry winter. I don't know that the rhizomes would have survived on the surface of the ground in a colder, wetter winter.

How well the soil drains plays a role in whether cannas survive the winter in my zone. In dense clay, they are more likely to die over the course of the winter, but where planted in well-drained sandy soil, they survive just fine. Mine were still blooming last week, though I haven't looked at them this week to see if they still are.

I've linked the website of Oklahoma's own Horn Canna Farm for you. They have good info in their "tips" section, and lots of gorgeous photos.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Horn's

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Mia is correct. First is Tropicanna gold, should be yellow/orange flower. the second is Tropicanna. I have this one and the flowers are bright orange. In my garden they get about 4 feet tall.

Thanks for the info as usual Dawn. My canna Australia and common reds are still blooming too. I think I may have a bloom on Tropicanna also.

My common reds and yellow spread like wildfire. I dont ever worry about digging them up. I will dig up a few of the more "fancy" types just to be sure I have them for the next year and or to move them around the yard.

Mike

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! Now I know what to do and will get busy if it ever stops raining!