Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auther_gw

Sweet Potatoes??

Auther
9 years ago

Has anyone here had any experience with Red Jewel & Red Garnet sweet potatoes? Also would like to know how Red Jewel & Golden/Copper Jewel sweet potatoes compare?
While visiting in Sacramento, Calif. at a grocery store, named Raleigh's, had several bens of sweet potatoes and on each ben they listed the variety of sweet potato. Such as Jewel, Garnet, I thought this very interesting and helpful. At a local grocery closet to where I live, I ask the produce lady if she could tell me what variety of sweet potatoes they had and she looked at me like I was from outer space and said "that they were Texas Sweet Potato's". Like what other kind are there?.

Comments (5)

• Macmex
    9 years ago

I don't have experience with those varieties.
    I agree about how helpful it is to give variety names. I was out in Seattle, back in September, and noticed how the culture there is so much more in tune with their food than is generally the case here.

I cannot remember the variety names. But I once read that almost all of the grocery store sweet potatoes are one of four varieties.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    9 years ago

I saw garnet listed in the Sprouts ad last week.

Funny you should mention Seattle, George, I was at a gathering in the home a a Seattle "immigrant" recently. She was feeling bad about using disposable cups and talking about water restrictions there. It seems, even with all their rain, water is limited. I got the impression Seattle is very "green".

• Macmex
    9 years ago

I believe it is. There are aspects of the culture which would probably rub me the wrong way. But, on the other hand, I really liked some things I observed. They seemed to put more importance on local and healthy food and the grocery stores were really a treat to visit.

They went through a really bad drought this summer. When I visited my son's lawn was brown and crispy. Trees had died too. But I believe their trees, normally receiving a lot more moisture, didn't have the deep root systems that ours do. If our normal summer heat and drought were to hit Seattle, they'd feel like the whole place had been picked up and dropped into hell. I hear that they are receiving rain now.

George

• oldbusy1
    9 years ago

I have grown red jewel, can't really give any comparisons . I just keep the vines alive in the green house through the winter and take cuttings off it in the spring.

They have produced pretty well for me and some of them do get fairly large.

• Macmex
    9 years ago

Sandhill Preservation Center lists:
    "Red Jewel: Early. Vining, normal leaf, bright red skin, orange flesh, very uniform, high yields."

"Garnet: Early. Vigorous vines, deep cut leaf, deep purple/red skin, orange flesh, above average yield."

"Garnet Red: Not the same as Garnet or Red Garnet. Mid-season. Reddish green leaves on vigorous vines, red skin, orange flesh. 3 slips for $7.50."

Duck Creek Farms lists Garnet:
    "Diane/Garnet his is also sold as Garnet in upscale markets. Red skin, Fat stalks, vigorous grower, sweet, dark orange flesh, torpedo shaped sweet potatoes, good producer. Interesting ivy leaves make a good ornamental plant or ground cover too. Becoming more popular every year. Can be a little slow to slip. Will flower early in the season."

George