Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

Dawn Greek Rose again

helenh
10 years ago

Greek Rose was on Dawn's list and I copied her when I ordered it. If anyone else grows it please help me decide if this could be it. This tomato feels light to me for its size. Before it is ripe it is a pale pink. It is kind of shiny.

Comments (4)

• helenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sliced this and it was very bland. I can't really judge it because some of my night temps are in the 40's. I have the furnace on so probably not good tomato flavor weather.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Helen, In hot summer weather it has superb flavor . In wetter, cooler weather , it does not. The best-tasting Greek Rose tomatoes that I've eaten were those harvested in June and July of 2012 when it was very hot and very dry. The ones I harvested in the summer of 2013 were more bland early in the season because most of the rain we had here during tomato-growing season fell in June and the first couple of weeks in July. Once the rain stopped, the flavor quickly improved. I didn't harvest many tomatoes in August that had poor flavor because our weather was perfect for tomato flavor---hot and dry. The tomatoes I'm harvesting now from fall plants growing in pots are back to bland flavor due to cooler weather and more rain.

Even though hot and dry weather is hard on the plants (and hard on the gardener as well), I still prefer hot, dry weather because it gives us tomatoes with superb flavor and texture. I hope you'll give Greek Rose another chance to impress you next year. Maybe the weather in 2014 won't be so wet that the tomatoes get bland and mealy .

Dawn

• helenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for answering. I am not sure what the above tomato is since my labels faded and got buried in foliage. What ever it is, it is a different color and shiny. I will just have to plant Greek Rose again and see.

I complain about dry weather and get irritated with the weatherman who says thank goodness it isn't going to rain on the weekend. But after my copperhead scare, I draped an additional soaker hose over Black Krim which was loaded with fruit. The connector to the original soaker hose was down at the bottom of the plant and I didn't want to reach down there. The other tomatoes got spotty watering and they survived but the Black Krim got a foliage disease and died. I still want regular rain but the gardeners in some states had a wet summer and they are complaining about a bad tomato year. It would be nice to have ideal conditions but that won't happen.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

It seems that tomatoes that get too much water always have poor taste and suffer from some disease as well. I have wondered if the self watering containers that so many use for tomatoes, also waters down the taste like too much rain. Does anyone on here use them?

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio