Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (14)

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

I hate expanding and shrinking ads. Make it as big as you want, but don't make it keep changing.

• ezzirah011
    11 years ago

Definitely a mobile app ... android please!
    Less pop ups and ads! OMG! I have had viruses downloaded through them, I have to constantly click them off the screen..Highly annoying!
    Change out the pea soup green on the site!

Thanks!

• biradarcm
    11 years ago

mobile app is great welcome! indeed it is in my wishlist for the Santa this Christmas! Better search engine is bonus! Thanks -Chandra

• helenh
    11 years ago

I would like to site Dave's Garden if there is something on there of interest. Other links are allowed so why not Dave's Garden. The ads are annoying. I would rather pay a fee.

• MiaOKC
    11 years ago

Love the ability to upload a photo directly within GW, without using flickr or other 3rd party app - would love it even more if we could upload multiple photos into one post.

The ability to edit a post (even if it's a short window after original post) would be awesome, for those of us who are typo-prone.

Unlocking the whatchamacallit that won't let you make multiple posts in a row with the same subject (I'm sure this is an anti-spam effort) would be swell - this may have happened already, I haven't had that happen to me lately.

Allowing an admin/power user to make a sticky would be great, as there are often things that come up multiple times in this forum seasonally - i.e., sticky in the spring regarding which tomatoes everyone is planting, could change to a sticky in the fall with fall planting dates, etc. For people who are new and do not understand the search function very well, these messages crop up fairly often and then usually there's a helpful person linking back to a previous post, but could make the site easier to use with a bulletin or sticky at the top.

Agree with the comments on the ad slots - would love for them to be fixed and not popup/shrink - that is incredibly irritating.

• teach_math
    11 years ago

"Allowing an admin/power user to make a sticky would be great, as there are often things that come up multiple times in this forum seasonally - i.e., sticky in the spring regarding which tomatoes everyone is planting, could change to a sticky in the fall with fall planting dates, etc. For people who are new and do not understand the search function very well, these messages crop up fairly often and then usually there's a helpful person linking back to a previous post, but could make the site easier to use with a bulletin or sticky at the top."

Ditto exactly what Mia said.

A better search engine sounds great! I have used google a couple of times to search the sight cause I just knew my question had to have been asked before.

Josh

• mwilk42
    11 years ago

I would like the ability to search by user name. Sometimes someone mentions something of interest to me, and it might be within a thread whose title doesn't reflect that. I might can remember WHO said it, I just don't remember where.
    the ability to search that way might be helpful. On another board I am on, it has the ability to search posts by user name.
    Thanks,
    justsaymo

• MiaOKC
    11 years ago

Justsaymo - I think you can search by user name - I've had that same thing where I want to find something and I know who said it but the thread may have gone waaaay off topic from the subject line and I cannot find it. If you use the search function down near the bottom of the screen (not the one at the top right, but the one that appears just above the box where you can start a new thread on the OK Gardening home page) and type in user name and keep the toggle button set to search "This forum only" you can find all the threads a member has posted/responded to. For example, search MiaOKC and you see all my jabber. If you know I was talking about, say, bamboo for example, you can search MiaOKC bamboo and the results are only where the thread had both the words "Bamboo" and "MiaOKC" in it. Hope that helps!

• mwilk42
    11 years ago

Thank you! I had tried using the searchbox for the user name, but never adding the other word to it. I was getting too much results to go thru sometimes.
    This helps a bunch. LOL I was also unaware that there was a search function at the top right of the page. doubt I will ever use it, as the one at the bottom seems more specific

justsaymo

• crm2431
    11 years ago

BETTER SEARCH ENGINE, PLEASE!!!!

• pattyokie
    11 years ago

I would like to be able to just click "like" or some such a'la Facebook.

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

I'm with Patty!!! I"m always looking for a "like" button :) (I just didn't want to be the first one to say so!)

Lisa

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara

• Macmex
    11 years ago

Congratulations Tamara! I really appreciate all the efforts you folks are making.

Would it be possible to make Spanish characters in a posting? I would love to spell jalepe�o correctly ;)

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994