Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sweet potato harvest

Posted by nated 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 16:04

Results of my sweet potato harvest. i didn't weight them or anything. i was kinda bummed about the amount until it came time to clean them all up, each one, by hand.... Beauregard variety, 16 slips, i will try sweet potatoes again next year based on initial results. if the gophers got to them i didn't know it and couldn't tell. drip irrigation spot did much better than the ones watered by hand. next year i'm ordering Bugs Bunny variety i believe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sweet potato harvest

Those are great-looking potatoes! How do you eat them?

o

Nate, those look good. I planted 18 Beauregard plants and my daughter dug many of them because I am not able. The harvest was disappointing. I am sure there are more out there because my daughter just felt under the vines and pulled the potatoes out. The deer are hitting the vines really hard now.

Bon, I like to eat sweet potatoes raw, but they are good about any way you want to fix them. My biggest problem is that I have to share them with our dog.

Larry

o

Well, if they grow well I might try. Never eaten many but sweet potato pie.

o

We boil 3 cups mash them with 1cup brown sugar,2eggs,1/2 cup milk(vanilla coffee creamer is better),1/2 cup butter. Put in casserole dish and top with this mixture. 1 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1 /3 cup melted butter, 1 cup chopped pecans. Sprinkled it over the top of sweet potatoes and bake at 350 for 30 -40 min. We like to double the topping. But you might want to try it single batch first if you are not into rich cause it is dessert rich. No calories either!!!I also like to just bake them cut them open and put in butter and Cinnamon.

o

Oops didn't mean to double post

This post was edited by borderokie on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 21:06

o

I think I'll pick up some sweet potatoes at the store and give it a whirl. See if the family might like it.

Man, that sounds good with the pecans. Our younger pecan tree has some rather large fruit. Needs to hurry up and develop!

o

YUUUMMMMYYYY. All I have are the ornamental SPV. Do they produce taters?

o

Sorie6, some ornamental produce a lot of potatoes, but none that I grow produce good tasting potatoes.

Here is a picture of one kind of ornamental I grow. It blooms very well but is drier and not as sweet as the others.

photo 001-49.jpg

Here is the largest ornamental sweet potato I have grown.
I did not try to eat any of it because it looked nasty.

photo DSCN0666.jpg

o

Sweet potatoes were one of my garden shockers this year. We picked up five tiny plants (not the ornamental ones) at Lowes as an afterthought because we had some space to fill. They did great and are really tasty and were zero maintenance (I have no idea what variety they were). It was my first time growing them and we will certainly grow them again.

o

I knew I had a few sweet potatoes left in the garden, but my step daughter came down today and showed me what a sorry digger I am.

This is what I had left.

Larry

photo 001_zpse5e6309f.jpg

o

Woot.. you and Nate's house will be smelling sweet real soon!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here