Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyinowasso

I have broccoli!

I can now tell the collards and broccoli apart! I have baby broccolies! The other plants, collards and brussells sprouts, look different from each other, but I'm not 100% sure which is which. I also have baby carrots. Good crop of spinach and lettuce going crazy. Peas have not bloomed, but they are 2 1/2 feet tall (mostly sugar snaps). Beets are disappointing, but everything else looks good. I will have green tomatoes to bring in ...probably Friiday. Looked for, but did not find halequin bugs today. No cats today either, but hit eveything with bt any way. I just have to figure out how to cover beds for frost protection. By that I mean DH and I have to agree on how to do it. ;)

Comments (5)

• hazelinok
    9 years ago

How exciting!
    My broccoli looks good too--but it's not ready to harvest. It's big and leafy, but the part that people typically eat, hasn't formed yet. It does look healthy though!

My peas have pods on them! But I grew Green Arrow--whatever I could find organic at a local store, because nothing is well planned this year. They are short little plants, but are full of pods. The pods are still flat though, and I think these pea pods are supposed to be plumper, because they're the shelling type of pea. I think. Any insight would be appreciated.

I only have broccoli and peas and this is the first time I've grown them.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think it had been 2 days since I had really looked at the broccoli, so I was surprised to see the flowers forming. You know how fast things grow sometimes.

I'm not familiar with your peas, so I'm no help there.

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

I expect to get some harvest, but none will be large. Here is a picture of my largest. None of the plants look good, it appears that insects and disease have a good hold on the plant and they have received no watering or care of any kind. These are purchased plants and planted about the first of Sept.

Larry

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Congrats on the broccoli, Amy.

Larry, Any broccoli harvest will be tasty though, even if smaller than expected. With the way the heat keeps hanging on and hanging on, any broccoli that forms may bolt quickly, so y'all keep an eye on your broccoli and harvest it before the yellow flowers appear. (You can still eat it after it flowers, though.)

Hazel, The pea pods form first and will be flat at first. Then the peas will begin to form. They are tiny at first but quickly enlarge. Watch your pods and you'll begin to see the shapes of the peas forming inside. You just have to be patient for a few more days. Green Arrow is fairly late as peas go. I think it has an estimated DTM of about 70 days. Since really cold weather hasn't arrived yet, your peas still have plenty of time to form inside the pods. Pea plants are fairly cold tolerant and generally will continue flowering and forming peas until low temperatures get really cold.....I think that I usually don't see pea flower or pod damage until the temperatures are in the lower 20s or maybe the upper teens.

Dawn

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your broccoli is bigger than mine Larry. Mine were purchased plants, too. They are in new beds and it looks like one end of one bed is not growing well. I need to find some wood chips so I can make some beds like yours.