Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

Picked a peck of peppers

mulberryknob
10 years ago

Actually I am not sure what a peck is, but I picked a plastic walmart sack full of both bell and banana peppers and another sack and a half of green tomatoes. Took about half of each to the senior citizen center for anyone who wanted to take. And made a note to myself not to plant so many of any of them next year. I have put all I wanted in the freezer and given the rest away for two months.

Although who knows what the weather will be next year. What if I don't plant enough? Such uncertainty gardening in Ok. Well I haven't had to water for quite a while so anything I've gotten since I quit watering is thanks to the bountiful rainfall this past 6 weeks. Perhaps I'd better leave my planting plan in place in case the garden dries up a week after I stop watering next year.

The veggies in the screened frames are looking good. Have lettuce and spinach in one and carrots and beets in another. The lettuce is already overgrown. I will pick some for wilted lettuce soon. I'll dig a couple Egyptian onions to go with it.

And the veggies in the greenhouse are up. Lots of lovely cool season greens for salads and steaming and stir frying. We're not going to try for winter tomatoes this year, so that leaves another 3x8 bed that will get planted to more carrots and beets.

I'm so glad I have both the frames and greenhouse because the two 4x50 ft beds we planted in the garden came up and were eaten by grasshoppers almost immediately. (I was so hoping they would be satisfied with the last of the bean vines.) No turnips, mustard or winter radishes this year for us. I want a couple more screened frames or maybe a low tunnel covered with row cover.

Comments (6)

• borderokie
    10 years ago

I actually got tender greens up and they didn't devour them this year. Had to put them in the ground late though. Waited till the hoppers died down a little. Had my first mess of them Sunday. Froze another gallon bag of bell peppers. Still have green tomatoes. Not cold enough for frost yet. Hope it holds off a little longer.

• jessaka
    10 years ago

we picked so many bell and various chili peppers that we were giving them away. on the other hand our tomatoes would not ripen.

• mulberryknob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jessica, where do you have your tomatoes planted? Could it be that the plants get too much shade to ripen? As I remember, your yard has quite a bit of shade.

borderokie, I'm jealous. I thought I had waited until most of the hoppers had died out too, until I walked through the newly planted area and watched them jump away from my young plants.

• jessaka
    10 years ago

dorothy, we gave permission to use the property next door. clark keeps much of it mowed now, and we have a large garden plot in the sun. last year we had tons of tomatoes; this year they are still green. one of my garden friends in oregon said to not water them as much as we do, so clark stopped, but still not much. our roma are getting ripe now. our ag guy here told me to pull them by the roots out before the freeze and turn the vine upside down in the garage. will do just before that happens.

• oldbusy1
    10 years ago

A peck would be 1/4 of a bushel

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Dorothy, I have both hot and sweet bells to pick, but haven't managed to get around to doing it. The rattlesnakes and copperheads are plentiful in and around the garden this year, and I've had enough close calls with them that I don't even want to step foot in the garden to harvest, though I need to do so.

I harvested and preserved so many peppers all summer long that I am sort of burned out on the processing of them, so I've just avoided looking at the heavily laden plants.

I'm glad you used the term 'peck'. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person around who still uses terms like 'peck' and 'bushel'. Obviously, Robert knows the terminology too though, since he defined it for you.

Robert, I hope you are doing well and that y'all have had some decent rainfall as we finally have gotten some, though it seems to have come too late for a lot of the warm-season native pasture plants. Winter broadleaf weeds and scattered amounts of winter rye grass have sprouted all over the place in the last couple of weeks though, so I guess the moisture was good for them.

Dawn