Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do I do with my Cannas?

Posted by tigerdawn 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 17:45

I have vague recollections that canna lilies can't handle the winter. Mine are still growing and are in pots. I have been watching Oklahoma Gardening because they showed us how to bring them out of dormancy and I thought they would say when it was time to bring them in, but no luck. Do any of you know what to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do I do with my Cannas?

Are they in pots in the ground? Seems to me Oklahoma Gardening always suggests digging them up. I don't, but I do get varying amount of canna death doing that.

If they are easy to move, I would put them into your garage.

Lisa

o

I brought mine in the garage tonight. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/okgard/msg0511492411324.html

Here is a link that might be useful: about potted cannas

o

I dunno. I've been in this house for 3 years now. When I first moved in there was a small patch of yellow cannas in the back yard. I've done nothing to them. Each year the patch gets bigger and bigger and has also crossed under the wood stockade fence and now my neighbor says he has them in his yard now too.

I hope he likes them :)

o

If they're in pots, pull them into the garage and as soon as you can, bury those pots in the ground at about the level of dirt equal to the pot level. A few inches lower won't hurt. Mulch HEAVY on top of that.

They should be okay after that.

o

Mine overwinter in the ground. If I had them in pots I'd sink them into the ground.

I think how well cannas do in the ground in OK in the winter correlates with how well the soil drains. Mine that were in unimproved clay died in a cold, wet winter although they had tolerated the same temperatures in drier winters. The ones that I have in the band of sandy soil which drains well survive the winters just fine. So do the ones in a raised bed of heavily-improved clay at the entrance to the veggie garden. The in-ground ones get mulched by pecan leaves that fall from the nearby tree, but other than that I don't mulch them in the clayey area.

o

Mine are in the ground and I don't take them up, but they are mostly in a sheltered area. The beds of red ones keep getting larger, and the other colors keep getting fewer and fewer.

o

soonergrandmom, try to mulch the other colors heavy. They are dying out on you. Some colors/varieties are more tender than others.

Moni

o

We had them, 7 years ago, in one of the gardens which came with our house. They slowly decreased, each winter, until they disappeared. Someday I'll get some more, and I'll either mulch heavily, for the winter, or bring them indoors.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

I leave mine, and they are spreading. They are all the red ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here