Garlic am I to late?

plantermunn
10 years ago

I
Is it to late?

Comments (13)

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

No, garlic is tuff. Was it Jay who said Dec 31st is the latest it can be planted this year; Jan 1st the earliest to plant next year. Plant it and mulch it; it will do fine.

• elkwc
    10 years ago

Yes that was me. I haven't planted mine yet. I hope to anyday now. Actually K-States says Oct 15th to the end of the month is ideal for my area. Jay

• Macmex
    10 years ago

I've planted in February and gotten decent results. But earlier is better.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Hi Plantermunn,

I've planted it late just like George has and have gotten great results.

I've planted it virtually any time between October and March and still had a great harvest.

I agree with Jay's assessment that garlic will give a decent harvest no matter when you plant it.

Obviously, the closer to summer you plant it, the less time it has to grow and produce a crop, so I likely wouldn't be out planting garlic in April and be expecting to harvest it in June or July. Even from a planting that late, though, you'd get something....though maybe not much.

Earlier is better, as George stated, but it really never is too late to get garlic started.

Dawn

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

My daughter keeps picking out all the sprouted garlic from my store-bought kitchen stock so I keep planting them. LOL

I cannot thwart her excitement of "it's a live and we should care for it". So, five more go in the ground today. haha

bon

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok. Thanks. I will give it a go.

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

I had a young man come over and help about a week or two ago and the Elephant garlic he planted is already coming up. It was some I picked up at the co-op, the stuff I got at walmart has not come up.

Larry

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went to TLC. I got the last one. It had a good smell to it.

• oldbusy1
    10 years ago

We finally got ours planted this weekend.
    I didn't do any fall garden this yr due to it being hot and dry.
    just having the weekends off just doesn't give me enough time to do all my other chores and garden..

• Garylane
    10 years ago

I have some extra garlic to give away for planting. I tore my hamstring and had surgery the 15th so I had to cut my planting short. Have several hardnecks and softneck varieties plus some creoles. All i ask is to pay for postage. Hate to see it go to waste as i have more than i will use over the winter.
    Gary

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Gary, I am sorry to hear about your injury. I had shoulder replacement surgery almost 2 months ago and sort of relate to the handicap you are under. I would love to have some Creole types and would gladly pay shipping and also pay for the garlic.

If you still have plenty please let me know what I need to do.

Thank you, Larry

• Garylane
    10 years ago

Email me your name and address and i will send you several creole types. just send me back postage in the mail.
    Gary

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Gary, thank you. I sent you an Email.

Larry