Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnycoleman

Purple Hull Peas

johnnycoleman
9 years ago

Larry,

How many peas did you get?

We have sold 20 quarts at the Edmond Farmers Market at $8 ea. I am surprised that many folks around here know what they are.

We bought an electric sheller. VERY HELPFUL!

Comments (11)

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

Johnny, I am nor sure. I just ask my wife and she did not know either, but thinks we got at least 10 or 12 qts. from the experimental no-till strip I planted by the south garden. Per sq, ft. it produced more than the ones I grew in the garden.

I have a cheap pea sheller around here somewhere. I cut the end off a small electric mixer beater and used a piece of rubber fuel line to make a flexible drive for it so I can power it with a drill motor or an electric mixer. We have not used it in several years. My wife and I just set at night and shell peas by hand, it gives us a chance to do something together and visit. Plus my sheller Is bad to mash the peas if they are not "just right"

Larry

• johnnycoleman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Larry,

I planted half the peas two weeks after the first planting. I'm allowing about 1/4 acre to dry on the bush. I'll harvest them dry in a few weeks. Don't know why, just wanted to do it at least once. They are easy to put up dry.

Our pea crop was a huge success.

This post was edited by johnnycoleman on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 21:42

• cochiseinokc
    9 years ago

Did you attract a lot of wasps with those peas? I used row covers over mine (which I primarily wanted to add nitrogen to the soil) to ward off the wasps, and the vines did great, but the peas were scarce.

• cochiseinokc
    9 years ago

Did you attract a lot of wasps with those peas? I used row covers over mine (which I primarily wanted to add nitrogen to the soil) to ward off the wasps, and the vines did great, but the peas were scarce.

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

Cochise, is there a reason to try to keep the wasp off peas? I have never done that and the peas did fine. Peas are something I don't grow a lot because they are too hard to pick and shell, but I do think they help your soil.

• cochiseinokc
    9 years ago

Only if you don't want to be a little inconvenienced when you harvest. The answer is no, otherwise.

• Auther
    9 years ago

If you inter plant your sweet corn with cowpeas you will be surprised at how well they grow together. The cow peas will add nitrogen for the corn.

• johnnycoleman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Auther,

We will be planting Blue Lake and Kentucky Wonder pole beans amongst the corn.

I need some suggestions about which field corn variety makes the strongest stalks.

Johnny

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

I know it's debatable whether nitrogen is supplied before or after the legume are tilled in. In my first corn plot last year there were three pea vines growing amongst and the corn plants around the pea vines produced heavier.

Only way to be sure is a control test. The peas are tasty. I think I'll just keep throwing them in the corn patch.

• johnnycoleman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The bumble bees, honey bees, yellow jackets, mud daubers, wasps and various other flying critters were very thick on our pea plants. However, I had two little girls helping me harvest. They saw me work right close to the critters so they did it too. Not even one close call of a sting.

• Auther
    9 years ago

Johnnycoleman, I don't know if it would make any difference about the kind of corn you grow, grow the kind you like. Legumes of any kind whither cowpeas or any kind of bean will draw nitrogen in and store it in the soil through the roots. So if they are planted between corn stalks the corn will benefit from the nitrogen directly as both grow, If corn is planted with a legume planted every other or every couple of stalks along the row you will be able to see for your self that the corn benefits.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!