Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

Winter forecast

elkwc
11 years ago

Here is one of the first long range forecasts I've seen for the upcoming winter. The early ones always change some. But Accuweather is one that seems to be better than most for my area most years. Just thought is might be of interest to some. After my garden surviving all of last weekend untouched by frost/freeze some of it got bit Wed morning. No one predicted a frost/freeze. The lowest I saw of any of the predictions was 39. I've learned though anytime they predict lower than 40 you had better be prepared. I had covered everything I wanted to save for a while last weekend with floating row cover so I never covered anything else Tuesday night. The Woods Mountain Crazy beans are in a cold frame so I have the top partially closed on it. When I checked at 5:30 Wed morning the temp was 37. At six it was 34 and by 7:10 it was 31.9. I had heavy frost on the pu windshield. It killed most of the leaves on the winter and summer squash, cukes and pumpkin. Didn't hurt the vines. Everything else was fine. Part of them were in a low area that usually is the first hit but the pumpkin and summer squash weren't. It was a reminder that cooler times are just around the corner. My WMC beans have some small ones set now. So hoping to keep them alive in the cold frame long enough to save some seeds. I moved my celery to the lean to greenhouse. Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter forecast

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz