Comments (22)

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From the northwest corner.

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From the southeast corner. The beds that appear to be empty have turnips, broccoli and cabbage, snow peas, lettuce and spinach. Yeah, it's late, but we'll see how they do. Notice to beds with the remains of acorn squash and watermelon plants, as well. That's my next little project.

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last: Basil, sweet potatoes, lavender and roses.

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

That is really beautiful. You put a lot of work into it!

• helenh
    10 years ago

You are a very neat person. I didn't know vegetables could look so neat.

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, folks. The layout was relatively simple, if tedious. All of that digging and re-arranging dirt? Not so much...

Helen, as a part of the design, it's the straight lines formed by the edging that makes it all appear to be so neat. That,. and arranging the beds just so...

I've actually let things go a bit, this summer. I usually keep it all but weed free.

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Those are really beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing. I could never be that neat.

• kellygreens
    10 years ago

Wow! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Keep in mind that this is the front yard. Everyone sees it, and we're on a busy street. I hadda keep it neat, just outta self respect. (The back yard belongs to the wife's dogs)

If we lived in the country, I'd have gone full English Garden on it, planting everything, everywhere and every which way. It would've been a beautiful, glorious mess!

• okievegan
    10 years ago

How do you keep the neighborhood dogs from peeing on plants meant as food?? Or do you just have really good neighbors? *envious*

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

wbonesteel, I would have loved to see your hand at an English garden.

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

I was going to say it looks reminiscent of the monastery gardens of Medieval England but you already said English Garden. Was that your inspiration? And, so you say the hunting hounds are located in back?

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The idea was to have a formal layout, while allowing the plants to maintain their natural growth habits w/o too much pruning. I also planned to 'over plant,' as much as possible, ala the original English country gardens.

We don't have too many dogs running loose around here. Feral cats are another matter, but their numbers have been down this year as compared to last

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

About those 'hunting' dogs...

• okievegan
    10 years ago

I'm sure the local wildlife trembles in fear whenever those fearsome hounds are outside. After all, being kissed to death has got to be a agonizing way to go....

:)

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Viciously cute. Looks can kill, I hear.

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

Woops, not hunting dogs, guard dogs. Especially that one with the pink collar.

• borderokie
    10 years ago

The garden is beautiful. The pups too!! Love pugs!!!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    10 years ago

Oh you are an inspiration!!! I've got a whole back yard empty and waiting for gardens.
    Did you put weed block down and then dirt or just till up the dirt in the yard?'
    I've got all bermuda grass so any beds I make are going to have to have lots of weedblock,cardboard ,newspaper!! Thanks.

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorie, I turned it all over by hand. Dug down to about ten to twelve inches deep. Had the soil tested. Mixed in my amendments - by hand - and pulled out all the Bermuda roots I could get. I keep after the Bermuda and focus on it a couple three times a year. Now, there's hardly any Bermuda in most of the beds, and only a little in others. I do have landscape cloth under the gravel walkways and under the sand, under the gravel.

• ezzirah011
    10 years ago

just beautiful!!!

• OklaMoni
    10 years ago

I do it like you too. Dig about 10 to 12 inches down, pull all the bermuda grass and other roots out, and then plant stuff. But I am very impressed with your layout. Looks gorgeous.

Moni

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor