Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall garden pics: FLowers and veggies.

Posted by wbonesteel 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 20:35

I'll let you figure it out. ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall garden pics: FLowers and veggies.

From the northwest corner.

o

From the southeast corner. The beds that appear to be empty have turnips, broccoli and cabbage, snow peas, lettuce and spinach. Yeah, it's late, but we'll see how they do. Notice to beds with the remains of acorn squash and watermelon plants, as well. That's my next little project.

o

Last: Basil, sweet potatoes, lavender and roses.

o

That is really beautiful. You put a lot of work into it!

o

You are a very neat person. I didn't know vegetables could look so neat.

o

Thanks, folks. The layout was relatively simple, if tedious. All of that digging and re-arranging dirt? Not so much...

Helen, as a part of the design, it's the straight lines formed by the edging that makes it all appear to be so neat. That,. and arranging the beds just so...

I've actually let things go a bit, this summer. I usually keep it all but weed free.

o

Those are really beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing. I could never be that neat.

o

Wow! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

o

Keep in mind that this is the front yard. Everyone sees it, and we're on a busy street. I hadda keep it neat, just outta self respect. (The back yard belongs to the wife's dogs)

If we lived in the country, I'd have gone full English Garden on it, planting everything, everywhere and every which way. It would've been a beautiful, glorious mess!

o

How do you keep the neighborhood dogs from peeing on plants meant as food?? Or do you just have really good neighbors? *envious*

o

wbonesteel, I would have loved to see your hand at an English garden.

o

I was going to say it looks reminiscent of the monastery gardens of Medieval England but you already said English Garden. Was that your inspiration? And, so you say the hunting hounds are located in back?

o

The idea was to have a formal layout, while allowing the plants to maintain their natural growth habits w/o too much pruning. I also planned to 'over plant,' as much as possible, ala the original English country gardens.

We don't have too many dogs running loose around here. Feral cats are another matter, but their numbers have been down this year as compared to last

o

About those 'hunting' dogs...

o

I'm sure the local wildlife trembles in fear whenever those fearsome hounds are outside. After all, being kissed to death has got to be a agonizing way to go....

:)

o

Viciously cute. Looks can kill, I hear.

o

Woops, not hunting dogs, guard dogs. Especially that one with the pink collar.

o

The garden is beautiful. The pups too!! Love pugs!!!

o

Oh you are an inspiration!!! I've got a whole back yard empty and waiting for gardens.
Did you put weed block down and then dirt or just till up the dirt in the yard?'
I've got all bermuda grass so any beds I make are going to have to have lots of weedblock,cardboard ,newspaper!! Thanks.

o

Sorie, I turned it all over by hand. Dug down to about ten to twelve inches deep. Had the soil tested. Mixed in my amendments - by hand - and pulled out all the Bermuda roots I could get. I keep after the Bermuda and focus on it a couple three times a year. Now, there's hardly any Bermuda in most of the beds, and only a little in others. I do have landscape cloth under the gravel walkways and under the sand, under the gravel.

o

just beautiful!!!

o

I do it like you too. Dig about 10 to 12 inches down, pull all the bermuda grass and other roots out, and then plant stuff. But I am very impressed with your layout. Looks gorgeous.

Moni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here