Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saffron (Crocus sativus) Harvest

Posted by biradarcm 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 20:52

This is third year we are harvesting saffron crocus (Crocus sativus). Saffron is one of the most expensive spices in the world, worth more than gold (by weight). But we are lucky to have our own produce year after year with little care and production multiply every year. After seeing results for three years with all those adverse conditions etc, still we get bountiful harvest, that means Oklahoma seems to be one of the suitable location to grow saffron.

Pics of saffron crop and kids busy picking saffron flowers;

-Chandra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saffron (Crocus sativus) Harvest

Chandra this is great!
I have always bypassed saffron becasue of the price. Looks like yours is doing well. Cute pics of kids too!
justsaymo

o

FINALLY my saffron is rising from the soil and the little orange strings are bright and orange!
You are the only other person I know growing saffron, so I must put you through the Q and A.
1. At what stage do you pick the threads? Partially open, nicely open, or when they are hanging below the petals?
2. How do you dry yours? They are so tiny.
3. How long do you dry them?

And congratuations on your successful tour! I am certain it was awesome. If there is ever a chance to attend one of your lectures locally, I'll be there!

o

Luva, glad to know that your saffron are blooming!
here are my answers for your 3 questions;
1. We pull the those three crimson stigma (saffron!) after flowers opens nicely.
2. Dry them in shade (kitchen counter top) spreading thin layer in a flat;
3. for about a week, then store them in airtight spice bottle in refrigerator.
We also use fresh saffron for cooking or making smoothies or most commonly is sweet saffron milk for kids!

o

Chandra:

Growing your own saffron - what a good idea! It's funny - we grow other herbs and spices. Saffron is so expensive but growing my own never occurred to me. And thanks for answering Luva's questions - I saved this info on Evernote.

I was looking for a source of Crocus sativus (corms? (bulbs?), and found an article about how to grow and harvest saffron on a garden blog. The blogger has a sense of humor - this is how she began her article:

"There are times when I feel my love of gardening stretches my family's patience a bit thin. Yesterday was one of those days. As we were trooping out to the car to get lunch, everybody starving and cranky, I passed my container of Crocus sativus and seeing that one was in bloom, literally dropped everything and shouted, 'WAIT!!'"

Here is a link that might be useful: Crocus sativus on Hedgerow Rose

o

EXACTLY!!!!!

o

Thanks so much for the good info; and the kid pics are really cute! Have been looking for info on growing saffron, as I'm an avid cook and love growing my own herbs. This is my first time growing saffron and was wondering if planting this late will actually get a harvest now or will it be in the spring? Thanks again!

o

patti24,
Saffron is a fall planted and fall blooming crocus. The leaves will still be there in the early spring, but no flowers. The first year I planted mine, I had mostly leaves, but the second year, it was a good harvest.

o

Thanks for quick reply!

o

Patti24,
I failed to mention, and I apologize, please protect them from gophers and voles. I had to restart my entire patch this year. out of 75 little bulbs, 5 were left untouched. so please, please protect those little babies.

o

Thanks so much for warning and will be sure and protect!

o

Where did you get your bulbs?

My sis will be so envious.. if I manage to grow them. :)

Moni

o

I got my bulbs online from Michigan Bulb. I was so excited to see them, as I have never seen saffron bulbs anywhere before, but I see others here who have posted other places to buy them as well.

o

K & K Nursery between OKC and Norman has saffron plants for sale. They just posted it on Facebook last week. I had never thought to plant it. Love the idea! I love to cook!

o

I found some at Breck online, and bought some other bulbs too. ;)

Moni

o

when did you plant them?

o

Ezz, they haven't arrived here yet.

o

Ugh, mine haven't arrived yet either! Supposed to be here around 18th, and I understand am supposed to plant immediately.

o

I am serious taking a quick trip up the road to K&K and see if they still have some.

o

What did you find? Do they still have it in stock?

o

I didn't make it down there as I don't have the bed ready yet for them to go in to, but I sure am going this weekend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here