Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auther_gw

Busy 1 - Sustainable Gardening

Auther
9 years ago

Busy 1, I hope you will post something about your progress in sustainable gardening. Back when I was young I used to think I would like to try something like you are talking about undertaking but back then there were no farmers markets, at least none close to where I live that I knew anything about. I still think that would be a great way to live. But now time has taken away my health and my youth and left me broke down and old. But I still enjoy hearing about someone else doing it. Open pollinated vegetables do not turn out with every thing looking the same some will be larger and some will be smaller. But I do know it makes no different which size you save the seed from they will grow the vegetable equally. Of course everyone wants to keep seed from the very biggest and best looking specimens. But open pollinated vegetables have the ability to adapt to drought and climate. Hybrid vegetables all will pretty much turn out alike if they get the right amount of water, fertilize and rich soil. But are hard pressed to adapt if conditions change.
Good luck with your endeavor.

Comments (16)

• soonergrandmom
    9 years ago

Maybe he will show you a picture of the onions he grows. Amazing.

• oldbusy1
    9 years ago

At work right now. Will try and check in tonight.

• soonergrandmom
    9 years ago

I found one in this thread although it isn't the pic I remember. This one got pushed over so it didn't get big. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: busy1 onion

• oldbusy1
    9 years ago

Well, I guess I don't really have a sustainable garden. I buy my seeds instead of saving them. I do save some seeds but not nearly enough.

I do not plant strictly for farmers market . I plant for myself but grow way too much so we sell the excess at the market.

But looks like I'm going to be slowed down once again. having shoulder surgery next month. Not sure how i'll manage feeding the cows this winter.

I've got lots of chores to try and get done before they cut on me. bone spurs and removing part of the collar bone.

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

Robert, I am sorry to hear about your shoulder, but I am glad you are getting it repaired now. I waited too long to get my shoulder repaired and had to have a Delta Reverse joint installed. My right arm was remounted to a metal plate on the inside of my shoulder blade, which made my right arm a little longer than my left. On the good side, there is very little pain now and I can scratch places that use to be out of reach. My DIL is still in therapy from an operation that sounds just like yours. Wear a diaper when you go to therapy, you may need it.

Larry

• oldbusy1
    9 years ago

Thanks Larry, I have had surgery on the right elbow and I am not looking forward to this surgery. I have struggled with this decision for awhile.

Doc says minimum 3 months recovery if things are not too bad once he get inside. MRI didn't show any complete tear. But I have heard of others that had tears that didn't show.

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

Robert, I struggled to long and wound up with a bone spur, 2 muscle tears, 2 complete tendon tears and almost no rotator cuff. The Joint Center in Fayetteville AR. was where I had my shoulder rebuilt. I was told any other type of repair would not last a year, it has now been almost 14 months and the shoulder is doing fine. I still take pain meds,but not because of my repaired shoulder. If the rest of me felt as good as my repaired shoulder I would think I was 40 years old again.

If I were to give you any advice, it would be to take your pain meds if needed, do your therapy and take care of that shoulder, they tear up much faster than they heal.

I guess I should say that I am thankful I can still do gardening, since this is a gardening forum.

Larry

• Auther
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Has anyone had any knee replacements? I am having trouble with my knees the cartilage is gone in my left knee and my right one is stiff and painful. The doctor say's that I need to think about replacement but I am worried because of Type 2 Diabetes and not netting of the bone or infection. I also need my left shoulder replaced. Torn cup and hurt several times in past sometimes it is very painful to move. dread for winter to arrive.

• oldbusy1
    9 years ago

I know a few people that have had knee replacement. Everyone that stuck to physical therapy did well afterwards.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    9 years ago

I've had one knee and both hips replaced. Knees are harder to recover from. My hips were a snap. The older you are, the harder it aill be. My dad, who is in his late 80s just had his hip replaced and it has been very hard on him. You do have to be very good about physical therapy. If I had to do it again i would talk to a physical therapist and start strengthening the muscles BEFORE surgery.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    9 years ago

By the way, there are different ways of attaching the joint. Mine were cemented on to the bone. I could put my weight on them sooner than the methods that reqire the bone to grow into the artificial joint.

• Auther
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have been told it takes a long time to recover from joint replacement.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Auther,

I have a dear gardening friend who lives about a mile from us and he has had several surgeries of this type. When our house was being built, he was in his 70s and walked from his house to our construction site every day as part of his recovery from back surgery. Then he walked back home again. He was so stiff that it kind of hurt to watch him walk and I can only imagine how much it hurt him to walk that much every day, but he stuck with it and healed and never seemed to regret having the surgery.

Flash forward from 1999 to now, and he's had two more things replaced, one after another in back to back years. Now that a few years have passed, I cannot remember if it was his knees or his hips, but either way, while his recovery took a while, he never complained and he was far better off after the surgery than before. It seems like he'd have his surgeries in the fall so he had the quieter winter months to work on the physical therapy and regaining full mobility. Luckily one of his adult children lived nearby and was around to help him feed the cattle in winter while he was recovering from the surgeries. By spring he was ready for planting time.

I remain in awe of how well he gets around and how hard he works farming and ranching now in his early 90s. He probably could dance rings around me and I am over 35 years younger than he is. He did every bit of physical therapy that he was told to do as a part of his recovery and I think that contributed to the full recovery he made. He also is very strong-willed and would rather be busy doing something instead of sitting in a chair, so I think one reason he healed so well is that he made up his mind that he was going to do it....so he did. There's something to be said for that sort of fierce determination to make a full recovery from major surgery.

Everyone that I know, except for one person, who has had knee replacement or hip replacement surgery has been better off once they healed from the surgery than they were before. The one case where the surgery did not succeed was in the mid- to late-1980s and I am sure the surgical techniques have improved a great deal since then as well.

Now y'all are scaring me with all this talk of joint replacements. If mine get hurt or worn out and need replacement, I think I'll just buy a bottle of Gorilla super glue and glue myself back together again.

No matter how long the recovery takes, imagine how good you will feel, Auther, after you recover. That's the reason to go ahead and get it done!

Dawn

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    9 years ago

I would say in 6 weeks time my hips were no longer hurting. Compared to what I felt before, even those 6 weeks were easy. My knee still bothers me. It was done first. I couldn't do as much therapy with it because my hips were too bad. I have gone to water aerobics at the Y 3 days a week for the last 3 years. I highly recommend water therapy.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    9 years ago

I would say in 6 weeks time my hips were no longer hurting. Compared to what I felt before, even those 6 weeks were easy. My knee still bothers me. It was done first. I couldn't do as much therapy with it because my hips were too bad. I have gone to water aerobics at the Y 3 days a week for the last 3 years. I highly recommend water therapy.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

I've had neck fusion surgery with hardware and plates. It was a real game changer. Kinda gives me support to get up and live better which in turn makes me healthier and stronger.

I'm diabetic. In my experience since surgery, the main things that cause weakness in this bone fusion is being too sedentary (when I work too long at the computer), too little water intake, and not enough fresh air. We have a grain mill in town that dusts the air and I've had to find ways to compensate.

Since it's in my neck, I can hear it when it's weak. Been pretty easy to tell the culprits. But this is only my experience with diabetes and bone regeneration. Might be different for knee surgery.

bon