Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottcalv

Can we discuss tractors?

scottcalv
9 years ago

So I am starting to research compact tractors for my business and also for home use. I know there is a tractor forum, but it seems all they talk about is garden tractors or lawn mowers.

I am interested in 25-40 horsepower compact tractors with front end loaders and implements such as brush-hogs and backhoes. I have rented a lot of equipment, and have ideas of what I am interested in, but am looking for others' knowledgeable input as well.

So...What do you own and how long have you had it? What problems have you had? Did you get it from a dealer and how is after the sale service? How do you use it, and what are the pros and cons of yours?

Comments (6)

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Perhaps some help is at the link provided.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tractors

• oldbusy1
    9 years ago

While I know absolutely nothing about compact tractors, here is my advice.

I would pick a brand and size and do a search for reviews.See if there are any common problems other people are having with the tractor/brand. Look for dealer support, how far will you have to travel to get parts or service.

Make sure the size of tractor is not on the too small for the job end. Not know just exactly what type of work and frequency of it makes it hard to direct you. Draw bar horsepower and PTO horsepower are not the same. Also make sure you have independent PTO. I think all the new tractors have that, but old tractors usually didn't. once you pushed the clutch in the pto would stop.

If I was to have a compact tractor with a front loader, I would pick one with front wheel assist. I think a 2 wheel drive front end would be to lightly built.

Anyway that's my advice.

I know Mahindra and Kubota seems to be popular.

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

I bought a older Kubota b2100 a couple of months back. I mainly picked it because I did not want to pay an arm and a leg for a 4 wheel drive with a front end loaded. I wanted hydrostatic drive, power steering, FEL, Box blade and a small brush hog, but the tractor came with a finish mower instead. I also have my step dad's Massey Ferguson 240 with only 2 wheel drive. Both tractors are old, and both do what they are designed to do. I have put about 50 hours on the Kubota and much less on the Massey since I bought the Kubota. The Kubota is my "go to" tractor for most jobs, but it is too small and under powered for heavier work. The hydrostatic drive is very nice for close tight work, but not as fuel efficient. As far as work being done I get more bang for the buck with the Massey, but the added weight and ag tires scars up my lawn. The Kubota is so light that it has to be in 4 wheel drive much more than I want to run it that way.

I will have to go along with what busy1 said, if I had not found a used tractor the Mahindra was high on my list.

• scottcalv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do landscape work, mostly hardscape. I build lots of retaining walls and move lots of boulders so I need a tractor that can handle the backhoe and front end loader work, but still be small enough to take down a 6 foot fence panel and get in a backyard. My backhoe work usually does not exceed 16 inches deep, and I know heavier equipment digs better. I am experienced in running machines. But I have to compromise on the size restrictions for maneuverability in tight areas. Plus, at my house a 5 foot brush hog would be great. A 4 footer would just take to much time on 20 acres.
    And 4wd is definitely a must on small tractors. And i love the hydro drive and power shuttle transmissions for bucket work. But gear transmissions seem to get more power to the ground.
    I was just curious how y'alls tractors are treating you.

• scottcalv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BusDriver
    Thanks for the link. Looks like they all have problems!

• scottokla
    9 years ago

Our tractors are all Kubotas. I have a L5030 that I consider to be the single most perfect all-around tractor there could ever be. I also have a 90HP and 20 HP. The L5030 is just under 50HP.

I suggest tractorbynet.com for researching. If you plan to have this tractor for 10+ years, the dealer is almost as important as the machine.