Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sorie6

wisteria

sorie6 zone 6b
10 years ago

I'm in shock! I potted some wisteria seeds that a friend in GA. sent me, they were marked 2010. Well they are coming up. They are only 2-3" tall right now and are in the shed by the window. Can I plant them outside or do I overwinter them in the house? I want to save them.
Wishe I could have gotten the Sweet autumn clematis to start :(
Thanks

Comments (5)

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm sorry I don't know the answer, but I can relate. I plucked a 6" leaf stem with nodes from a local maple tree less than 3 weeks ago. It has roots. Now, I haven't a good place to overwinter it.

And a guy over on the tree forum didn't believe I started a maple in 2 weeks???

I wish I would have waited. lol

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Sorie, My suggestion is that you plant a few in the ground and overwinter a few inside. That way, it is likely some of them will survive one way or another.

Bon, People in other forums would have to live here and experience our wild and wacky weather in order to understand it. Heck, we all live here and we don't even understand it as well as we'd like. This fall weather likely has been cool enough and moist enough for lots of plants to be propagated---it is just a case of the weather (surprisingly, given how little it cooperates with us in general) being "just right" for once. Could you overwinter the maple tree in a pot in a garage or shed? I am afraid if you put a tree that young in the ground this fall that it will not have a large enough or deep enough root system to survive the winter temperatures.

Dawn

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

(uhhhh) I just want to throw a note of caution in here. As the queen of planting plants I almost always know ahead of time will be thugs....think twice :) They are beautiful, but be careful where you plant them.

I had a friend who moved away from her house to get rid of her wisteria... :)

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisteria

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh wow I'm having second thoughts about planting it now!! Sounds as bad as the virginia creeper I had in Colo. I dug a root of it out that was 12" across!!
    thanks lisa

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Dawn

Two suggestions were made. 1) place in fridge and 2) place on north side of house blocked from sunlight and turn over on its side during freezes.

You are so correct about them "not understanding". The problem: I don't understand other climates so it takes me a little bit to realize some cannot help regardless of their expertise about certain species. I actually mentioned we are mimicking spring here. Especially, in my area with all the rain (so so sorry). It's been a long fall with plenty of moisture and things are popping up like mad. "Uh. You don't want to do that." I warn them.

Since I'm not overly concerned I think I'm going to do what you suggest: Place it in an unheated store room in the house. I picked it off the maples at the bank. I can rob them again next spring. (Actually, I did ask.)

I thot about just plucking it, but this would be a good opportunity to learn since I'm eager to do bonsai. I better get used to having a plant "pet".

Wisteria:

Wisteria is SO beautiful. I'm in the air for it on a bonsai, but often considered planting it outdoors. But with the English Ivy the previous owner irresponsibly planted, the bind weed absolutely everywhere and all the trash trees like poplar to keep up with (coppice), I'm all out of options for controlling anything that would love me to skip a beat...and I'm in a city zoning area thingy. They don't like trashy, but are pretty lenient.

The english ivy was planted on the side of the house. In short, that side of the house needs complete repair from siding to trim to window sills/trim and attic interior. It was growing through the walls, the vents, the a/c units. I had back problems and just could not get to it for a long time. When pulling it off the suckers yank off three layers of paint and primer exposing the board. Lesson learned. Now I have a bunch of dead ivy hanging on the side of my house.

In some places, the previous owners just painted over the suckers remaining on the siding.

I don't know the growth pattern of Wisteria or if it's anything like english Ivy. The originating ivy plants had three sources and all were 12" to 16" wide at the base. It is now in the thicket nearby and I absolutely MUST get every part growing up right before it matures and goes to seed (again!) this winter or next spring. It went to seed and the birds distributed it.

Thinking of invasive species makes me think about Kudzu, a Japanese plant that does not grow out of control in Japan but finds southern US climate and landscape expendable. It has taken charge. It's chemically resistant and expands in several different ways. It's like bind weed in triple steroids and one additional propagation method.

I was wanting something that would grow indoors without need of much light. Well, I got to reading about Kudzu excitedly but came to realize Kudzu seed WOULD get out the door, eventually. One woman wrote about marigolds. She found it interesting when marigolds started showing up in her church's garden where she tended. She had a stint where she planted marigold all over her yard and, without intention, they ended up in the church flower bed. Even Dawn relates to planting a ton of marigold over a broad area and she mentions becoming sick of them.

Imagine how Kudzu gets around! This was this woman's argument on that forum about Kudzu.

When we drove to North Carolina that year we saw the damage from Kudzu beginning in Tennessee all the way to the Appalachian Mountains. Imagine a native Oklahoman seeing such green beautiful hillsides for the first time in her life and finding the native landscape slowly being engulfed by a foreign ivy.

Incredibly sad. It covered entire mountain-sides monopolizing any man-made structure in its path. You could not distinguish any natural life beneath it.

That being said, Wisteria is different than Kudzu and even English Ivy. I don't consider Wisteria much of an invasive because it's possible to kill it, I believe? But it takes a lot of work to control and trim. English Ivy doesn't like sitting in water and that restricts its growth area but it's impossible to eradicate like bind weed. It never should have been planted here!!

bon