Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auther_gw

Slowpoke Gardener

Auther
9 years ago

I enjoy your post on the forum. They are always interesting and informative. Planting sweet potatoes in a big bed the way you do is one of the most clever ideas I have ever seen. More home owners should follow your lead.

Comments (2)

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

Auther, thanks. I haven't been growing sweet potatoes long, I started growing them as a ground cover and ornamental. Then one year I planted Beauregard because they were much cheaper than paying $2.00 - $4.00 a plant for the ornamentals. I was surprised to see how pretty and productive the plants were.

I would like to show you a picture of my ugliest and largest ornamental. I never ate any of these so don't know how the taste is, but they are so ugly you would have to close your eyes to eat them..

Larry

• Auther
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mr. Slowpoke, That is the ugliest looking sweet potato I have ever seen. You should set it on your porch for Halloween decoration.
    I don't know what my sweet potato's are as they were slips from a grocery store sweet potato. I use them because the gophers & grasshoppers are so bad here that if I ordered slips I might not be able to raise any. I have had sweet potato plants half grown and a gopher will sometimes start at one end of a ridge and burrow all the way to the far end and cut every sweet potato root on the row. Plus the Grasshoppers sometimes will cut a slip off at the ground level. It has happened to mine more than a few times. This is the first year in 5 yrs. that I have been able to grow any at all. But this year I have a few so it can always be worse.