Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judyannz7

"Blue" red cedar?

judyannz7
10 years ago

Yesterday while on Hwy 412/64 between Tulsa and Enid, the problem of Oklahoma's red cedar population was obvious. However, since my husband was driving, I had opportunity to study the trees (if that can be done at 70mph!) and of interest to me was the presence of "BLUE!" cedars mixed very rarely in with the reds.

The reds are a medium to light yellow green now. The blues are in stark contrast. I wouldn't want to place an estimate on how often they occur, but just every once in a while I would see one, maybe two and at most three in a given area. Out of hundreds of trees, seeing those few blues every few minutes made me wonder if anyone has taken a closer look at this occurrence. We live in an area that was once home of old growth cedars, and the few rare ones remaining are a blue, but I have no idea what kind. I would like to plant a new blue in our nearly 3/4a yard as we have a tree that is suffering from lightening damage and will probably have to be removed.

Comments (5)

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Judy...Hi! I can't help with your question, but I just wanted to say hi! I met you a few years ago during my daylily craze! I think of you when I pass your old neighborhood...I assume you have left c-ville :) I hope you are doing well.

• judyannz7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yes, we left our home and gardens after 40 years, if you can believe it. I still can't. The move was a killer, but we do have lovely soil here, not the red clay, so I'm not complaining! ha

I really wish I could say I remember meeting you, but I don't. Thanks for saying hi! Was it at club? Did you come to the garden? Did I visit your garden?

Here's the last picture I have of our place in Cville, well, where it was. You can see around the light poles how deep they had already removed the dirt. This is where the gardens were.

• helenh
    10 years ago

I saw some junipers today that were so loaded with berries that they looked blue.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Judy, I came to your house and bought a few daylilies. It's fine :) I just remember because you were so close to Chesapeake and I work very close to there!

I'm glad you got out there. It is a mess!! I'm jealous of your non-red soil!

• judyannz7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it was really a mess, especially when they ignored with impunity the City's zoning rules and were operating construction machinery 4am-10pm right behind our bedroom. Since those huge layoffs, there is no way they needed that huge parking garage where we had our home and gardens! Land Grabbers!

Lisa, the soil here is enviable and it does make gardening easier. Of course we moved many of the daylilies and other perennials, shrubs and even moved two Leland Cypress which we had planted in an effort to shield C out of our lives. (*ha*) Those beauties are so happy (and well planted I might add), they are way above our roof line already. Here I can grow azaleas without a hitch, and with proper placement Camelia and Rhododendron, too. I'm enjoying that. The hosta and ferns tell me they were barely hanging on, just long enough to get here! So it has been a blessing in multiple ways.

Helen, last night I took time to read about the "blue" cedars Monrovia lists. Quite a few actually. We had wondered if it was the berries that were making the trees appear blue. Sometime this week I'm going to do an up close and personal check of the trees here in our neighborhood which are "original" I believe, or at least plantings of 30+ years. This whole area carries the name Cedar Ridge in one way or another, and that is what makes me think they could be original to the area. On the golf course nearby, some of the cedars are huge, but that is a flood plain also, so no lack of water ever to make them happy. Even during the drought there was the care from the golf course landscape management.

I would just like to find one or more of those "original" cedars to plant as we will surely be needing to replace a large pin oak sooner than we anticipated.

I will look up the junipers on Monrovia, too. Thanks.