Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

Serious cold weather about 12 days away??

scottokla
10 years ago

Our local meteorologist warned us tonight that the models are showing some seriously cold weather coming around the 26th. Still early but looked probable.

They usually don't make those predictions so early, even when they think the chances are good. That is the kind of information that really helps me prepare, so I thought some others might want to know of the possibility. Temps in the mid 20s would do some damage to my place.

Comments (12)

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Scott, thanks for the "heads-up". About all that is left for me to do is pick the peppers and dig a few ornamental sweet potatoes. I am so slow that it really helps to have a little early warning.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. I got a bunch of tropicals Ill need to dig up and store.

mike

• scottokla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. So many things can change in 10+ days that the TV guys usually will not mention these big changes until they get within 7-10 days. Usually I have to read blogs to get that kind of information.

Maybe one of our meteorologists that occasionally post can provide more info.

• scottokla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Slater in OKC posted today the same information as channel 6 in Tulsa said: First freeze likely the weekend after this one, give or take a day.

Pecan crop is a week to two later than average, but 90% should mature by then. Some cultivars like Stuart and those later might be lost. All the standard Oklahoma ones should make it except maybe Maramec. If Obama didn't suck so much I could check the dates of all of them online to make sure.

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Scott;

I hope my harvest comes soon! I'm still waiting for ones to drop on my younger pecan. They're huge. I promised little Miss her first pecan pie.

One cannot de-suckify Obama. It would be easier to ask the squirrels to leave my pecan nuts alone.

bon

• borderokie
    10 years ago

Lol only in here could we combine pecans and obama. So glad to know some of us are like minded on political issues as well. Lord help us!!!

• scottokla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am trying to identify a pecan cultivar again tonight and it is absolutely shocking that I cannot access Texas A&M web pages showing information about each cultivar simply because the USDA puts the info there and our piece of crap president is as mature as a 3 yr old.

I can't imagine our school website shutting off information about spring schedules while the school is shut down for holiday breaks, or a business blocking their website during weekends, which is what I equate this to. It's a perfect example of how great free enterprise serves us customers and how poorly the federal government does by nature.

And don't even get me started about how the pecan buyers cannot get many people to clean pecans because people make more in welfare, and how the feds have pushed new laws preventing my kids from working paid positions in ag to get their feet wet, etc. I'm fed up with this crap and losing the pecan cultivar database access has pushed me over the edge. You can bet the DirectTV works and all the cell phones belonging to the welfare kids that my family transports to church twice a week still can handle 20 texts per day at taxpayer expense though (while we watch 4 network stations and share one flip phone amongst all high school and jr high kids)

Unbelievable how the media and public lets this happen and thinks it's just part of the process. Nice work you sorry excuse for an adult, much less a president.

• scottokla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now that that is out of my system, may I recommend you guys in northern Oklahoma try Lakota as a new pecan cultivar (to go with Pawnee and Kanza). I am very impressed by it. Mine reached 50% shucksplit today and the tree/nut is impressive. And if anyone knows when Appalacia matures (before next weeks freeze?) or what Lipan is like, let me know.

No more political posts. Promise.

• borderokie
    10 years ago

Lol lol lol. .....Now ....was told that Pawnee produce quicker....is that what you have found to be true

• scottokla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, I got back on here because I just saw Obama is going to let me get to the database maybe as soon as tomorrow. "I will begin reopening our government immediately." Thank you Congress for caving and kicking the bankruptcy further down the road, and thank you Obama for letting us kiss your ring. (You can kiss my ____.)

Everyone's experience will be slightly different based on location, soil, and humidity. For me, Kanza, Pawnee, Mandan, and Lakota all have similar productivity (based on just the first few years), but the differences will be in nut size and disease resistance. Kanza nuts are smaller so are more likely to still have good quality in dry years, but... they're smaller. They also are likely to never have disease issues. Pawnee has some quality problems in dry years, and disease problems in wet years, but they are big. Mandan is too new to reach conclusions yet, but appears to get diseased in wet years like Pawnee. It's big also, though. Lakota looks promising to me but this is the first year I am getting a lot of them, same with Mandan. (actually, the squirrels and crows are getting a lot of them, but I am getting some) Lakota is big, yet also resistant to disease. It takes a week or two longer then the other three to ripen, but will make it with a week to spare this year and this year will have a growing season about two weeks shorter for pecan than normal.

For the yard in NE Oklahoma, I love Posey. For more production but no disease, I like Kanza and Lakota. I can't remember right now which of Lakota and Mandan will pollenate Kanza, and I don't remember what will pollenate Posey either. I guess we can find out from the Texas A&M database tomorrow once Obama lets us use data that has been finished for years and for which we have already paid for.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Scott, I am glad you got everything out of your system. Now that you'll have access to the data you need, maybe it will help you to feel better.

Thanks for the heads-up on the impending seriously cold weather. Since I walked away from the garden and just closed the gates and abandoned it when the drought hit a certain point , I haven't even been paying attention to the weather. When I noticed how chilly it was even before sunset last night, I ran outside and dragged a couple of plants into the garage. Then I checked our forecast for the overnight low and it said 40 degrees . So, knowing we usually go lower than forecast at night due to our microclimate, I mentally adjusted that to 38 degrees. To me, 38 degrees is seriously cold for mid-October. Our average first freeze normally is mid-November .

So, here it is a little after 7 am and presumably we already have hit our lowest temperature for the overnight hours. It got down to 38 degrees and still might drop another degree. To me, it feels seriously cold here now. : )

I won't have to worry about my native pecans freezing. Due to the drought, the one pecan tree in the yard that I tried to keep well-watered began aborting pecans in August. There's still a few pecans on the tree, which continues dropping them right and left, and they never filled out. That hasn't stopped Mr. And Mrs. Squirrel from carefully gathering them up and burying them in the yard. I guess the rain that finally fell here this week was too late to save them. I talked with Fred yesterday . He and his family have lots of pecan trees on their properties and he said none of those trees, which rely solely on rainfall, have any pecans on them at all. It has been a few years now since I've seen those big pecan shakers driving down our road to Fred's place to shake the pecans off the trees. I am beginning to think I'll never see the pecan shakers in our neighborhood again. Between the repeated droughts and the poor pecan market, it likely isn't cost-effective any more to hire the shakers.

Our native pecan trees in the woodland are like the ones on Fred 's family land---no pecans at all. I am not sure if it is solely due to the drought, or if the recurring cold nights in April and early May hit them while they were flowering.

Dawn

• sancho_panza_ok
    10 years ago

Weather.com is forecasting 33 degrees tomorrow night (Friday 10/18). Since they're also predicting showers, I'm guessing some kind of front must be coming through.