Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waurika_gw

Got chickens? Goats? Mangle Beets?

Waurika
11 years ago

This year was my first year for growing a few mangle beets as fodder for the animals. Got the seed in the ground very, very late this fall. The seed seller simply did not send me my seed for well over a month. Next year I will get them planted with far better timing. The first frost took them out while they were still palm sized, but I learned from the growing experience. (Interesting as the turnip were not phased by the mild frost & they had over a foot of exposed green tops up in the air.)

Critters are supposed to like the beet tops, besides the actual beets. The chickens I guess still have enough yummies from free ranging they are not interested in the tops. The horses absolutely refused to consider the tops. They both like the actual beets though. If one has IR (insulin resistant) horses though, I would NOT recommend these beets. I would not recommend any fresh beet for an IR horse.

Mangles are supposed to store well for the winter, but I did not plant/harvest enough to find out this year. My five gallon bucket of beets is nearly gone with careful daily rationing out of them.

I certainly intend upon a much larger & better timed planting in 2013. I actually I hope for two crops. :)

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!