Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seeker1122

Canning quest

seeker1122
9 years ago

I've looked everywhere and of course no strait answers.
Can I use a red hot candy recipie for cucumbers on green tomatoes.

I'm so broke this holiday season a quick pickle with red hot or candied would be good gifts for me to give.

Lots of deaths in the family this year so I added a new family household to visit this season.

They all grew up on fresh garden food so I know they will love it.

I also want to do a quick easy candied jalapeno for my brother I got that off the internet does it work and taste good.

thank. l Yall rock and Happy days.

Tree

Comments (3)

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    9 years ago

Someone here can probably answer, (I have no experience here) but some one on the harvest forum can probably answer.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Tree,

I agree with Amy that you need to ask these questions on the Harvest Forum so the canning experts there can respond. The food preservers over there have an amazing wealth of knowledge and experience and can answer your questions.

With the use of green tomatoes in a recipe intended for and safety-tested for cucumbers, take into consideration that cucumbers and tomatoes have a different pH, which might be a safety issue. The folks at the Harvest Forum can address that. I've never made pickles with the red hot cinnamon candies so cannot comment on whether that recipe could be used with green tomatoes instead.....anything I said would just be a guess, and even though I do a lot of food preservation, I'm certainly not a canning expert. I've only used red hots with either apples or pears in an approved recipe.

With the candied jalapenos, there are many ways to make them. I usually make them using either the Ball Blue Book or National Center for Home Food Preservation's recipe for Bread and Butter Pickles, subbing in sliced jalapenos in the place of sliced cucumbers. I first learned it was okay to make that substitution by googling and finding a thread at the GW Harvest Forum a few years ago. Another way to do it is to use either the Ball's or Mrs. Wage's Pickling Mix for Bread and Butter Pickles. Or, Mrs. Wage's now has a Zesty Bread and Butter Pickle Mix that works just as well for candied jalapenos as it does for zesty (hot!) bread and butter pickles. I make a ton of these every year and give them away as Christmas gifts. People love them---every people who do not otherwise eat a lot of jalapeno peppers.

I'm sorry you have had so many family deaths this year. It must have been a very difficult year and I hope that 2015 is more kind to your family.

I'll link the Harvest Forum for you. In order for them to tell you if the candied jalapeno recipe you found is a safe one, you will need to either link the recipe or type it for them. There are so many candied jalapeno recipes floating around (some are for canning, others are not) that they will need to see the recipe you're referring too in order to comment on it.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvest Forum

• seeker1122
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all
    tree

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH