Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sorie6

OT halloween

sorie6 zone 6b
10 years ago

How many kids did you have?
We had a shock we had over 200 kids!! No one told us they block off the streets and let the kids come!! I've never seen so many kids!!! We ran out of candy by 7 (lights off) and they started coming at 5:30!! They were still coming at 8pm! I even borrowed candy from the neighbor who has lived here and knew about all the kids. Wished he'd told me! Whew glad that's over. We will buy more candy next yr!!!! Or go on vacation!!!
One lady told me this is the only neighbor hood she comes to!!

Comments (9)

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

That sure is a lot of kids. I've heard of this happening and where the folks in the other areas of the city donated their candy purchases to the neighborhood receiving the bulk of kids.

I hope they can set that up for your area!

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

I am sorry that I forgot to tell you that, but I only remembered about the time it got dark. Your neighborhood always gets hit hardest because parents can park at the sports center then walk those few streets hitting house after house and then they are done for the night. I know one lady there who bought $60 worth of candy one year, and ran out.

I had one child, which is the usual. She is a neighbor and her parents always bring her to a few neighbors, then take her to your neighborhood. LOL I have never had more than 10 or 12, but usually have only one......and lots of left over candy.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gree thanks a lot soonergrandmom. NOONE told us not even the neighbors. But it is fun watching the little kiddies.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Sorie,

I think that it would have been so much fun to have that many kids, especially if you'd known in advance they all were going to show up.

We are in a very rural area and at our end of the road, most of the houses are set several hundred feet back from our lightly-traveled rural road. The houses are fairly widely spaced, too, so even if you are just walking from your driveway along the road to the next driveway, you probably walk at least 75-100 yards. There are no young kids here either. Most of the 'children' at our end of the street (and I think there were only 2 of them) were in their early to mid-teens when we moved here, so guess what....we've never had a single trick or treater. Not a single one in 15 years. For the first few years, I always bought candy and then finally I gave up and stopped buying candy for trick or treaters who never came. Now I just buy a bag of good chocolate candy for us, using the excuse that maybe this will be the year a child will find our house for Halloween. Then, we endure the terrible hardship of having to eat all that chocolate ourselves. : )

When we lived in Fort Worth in the 1980s and 1990s we always had tons of kids, decorated the house really cute and bought and gave away tons of candy. I kinda miss that, but there's so many wonderful things about living in a quiet, rural area that I don't miss it so much that I want to move to town or anything.

Dawn

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Dawn, we have you beat. In the 45 years that we have lived in Oklahoma, in two different rural houses, we have never had a single child come to our house. Each of those houses was set a long way from the county road, the first over a third of a mile and this one a thousand feet. Rural families drive their children to town to go trick or treating.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

I bought 3 bags of candy and gave my one trick or treater a large handful. Then Al came out to see her costume and gave her more. When she left she had a paper bag full of candy. Her parents were both with her and her mother was in costume also. I was frying potato chips and gave the parents each a bag of chips to eat while the daughter gathered her loot. LOL

• pattyokie
    10 years ago

My son lives in a neighborhood where there houses are all on at least an acre lot & the front yards are very deep, so the grown-ups in the neighborhood do a hayride. The wagon stops in front of each house so the kids can run up & trick or treat.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Our church does Trunk or Treat in the parking lot, but it was the night before and I didn't get home in time to participate this year. That is a nice safe way for the kids.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really enjoyed seeing the kiddies! It was a fun evening and I hated that I ran out of candy to soon :( . Next year will be different.