Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OK Drought Monitor--Big Increase in Worst Categories

Posted by okiedawn Z7 OK (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 9:20

This week's Oklahoma Drought Monitor map shows that drought continues to intensity again across most of the state.

The amount of OK in Extreme (D-3) and Exceptional (D-4) increased significantly since last week's report. Over 90% of OK now is in Extreme or Exceptional Drought.

The OK Drought Monitor map is linked below.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: OK Drought Monitor for 11/27/12

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Drought Narrative From OK Mesonet

The linked news article from the News section of the OK Mesonet describes in detail how drought worsened during November.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drought Picture Worsens During November

o
RE: OK Drought Monitor--Big Increase in Worst Categories

And I just finished watching Dust Bowl on PBS - scary.

o

Helen, I agree!

Dawn

o

I just back from the South-Central Climate Science Center Science Workshop...in identifying near- and longer-term, high-priority mitigation measures (research) related to climate induced impacts in the region. Based on the interaction with climate folks, things seems to be not positive in next few(?) years, but I am bit positive that assumptions may go wrong and things will get better... -Chandra

o

Chandra, I sure hope that you are right and the rains come. I worked for awhile yesterday digging out some grass that had taken root during the summer when it was just too hot to be outdoors, and my garden still has some moisture. Of course, I am in (or near) that sliver of the State that isn't quite so bad. We are not getting measurable rainfall, but we have had a few light sprinkles and several days last month with just a light mist. I have a low tunnel which has condensation inside the plastic many mornings, and a tub of lettuce that I watered yesterday for the first time in November. I am not nearly as dry as I was during the summer months.

2013 may be the year that we should plant the heat lovers and dry tolerant plants only.

o

I am pretty dry also. Because of the drought and being to busy I did not plant a cover crop. One of the problem I have with a cover is it does not permit the soil to dry as well (I live in a low wet area). This may have been my best year for a cover crop.

I am also thinking about having a well drilled. The cost of food, well drilling, and everything else is going up much faster than the interest at the bank, a well may be my best investments.

I fear that our living standards are going to drop pretty fast over the next several years.

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here