Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macmex

Green Country Seed Savers Network/ Sunday November 9

Macmex
9 years ago

Just in case anyone would like to come, we're having another meeting this coming Sunday afternoon. Among other things, we're planning to discuss the processing of squash seed. There are always folk who come with extra seeds and plant material. I know Ron Cook is planning to bring some sweet potatoes for those who would like to grow their own slips in the spring.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Country Seed Savers

Comments (8)

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    9 years ago

I couldn't find anything on the web site that tells where the meeting is going to be held.

• Macmex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry! My mistake!

It will be at Napolis Italian Restaurant, on Muskogee Ave., in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. That's about a mile and a half North of Walmart, on the main drag through town.

George

Here is a link that might be useful: Napolis Italian Restaurant

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    9 years ago

Lots of good information, interesting people and some wonderful samples. Even a beautiful day for a drive, what more could you ask for! I enjoyed the meeting and it was fun to meet George.

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

I would have loved to have gone to the meeting, but its about a 100 mile drive and caring for ageing parents is a 7 day a week job.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Would have loved to meet everyone and learn a bunch. That newer truck we bought? Been in the shop the last 2 weeks. It's ready now.. but darn it. lol Maybe next time.

• Macmex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I understand. If the meetings were even as far away as Tulsa, I would probably not be able to make it myself. My vision for Green Country Seed Savers is that we will gradual build a network (somewhat overlapping) of grass roots gardeners/seed saver, probably using the website as our central "meeting place." But various local chapters will develop, so, for instance, though anyone would be welcome in any local meeting, there will be local get-to-gethers say, in the Ft. Smith area, Tulsa and Oklahoma City, etc.

Yesterday's meeting was wonderful! Though some may not notice it, I am, however an introvert. So, after such a time as we had, in which I spoke A LOT, I needed to recharge a bit.

I was glad to distribute ten samples of Woods Mountain Crazy Bean. This variety ought to be widely grown in our region. I am so impressed with it. Here's a link to what I managed to put together on the variety in regard to its history and culture.

Most everyone had something to ask or to share. But we did talk about our interest in promoting regionally adapted varieties and multiplying knowledgeable gardeners, able to propagate and distribute these varieties to others, who will then learn to do the same. We had a brief demonstration of how to process a winter squash, along with a discussion both concerning the terms "pumpkin" and "squash," as well as the advantages of growing from the species c. moschata. Grasshoppers, and how to deal with them, came up several times.

David and Linda Hickey brought some really great garlic. Ron Cook brought roots of Ula, a Hawaiian Purple (inside and out) sweet potato, which I believe he received from a USDA agent. Ron also brought samples of his Heavy Hitter Okra and commented that he is getting something like $12 per dried pod, right now! He gave them out for free. Ken Goodpasture, who does not do Internet, brought some hot peppers, to share, which some believe are Tabasco. They were really nice. I am probably forgetting something. But you get the idea.

George

Here is a link that might be useful: Woods Mountain Crazy Bean thread

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Nice!

• mulberryknob
    9 years ago

We hated to miss it, but had to help my Dad with winterizing pipes and seeing to a lame cow. Next time.