Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnycoleman

Snow peas growing

johnnycoleman
9 years ago

I just planted some more snow peas in a tray. It is in my bay window that faces South.

The young plants taste like peas. I like them on my sandwiches or just as a raw snack.

You can cut them off about one inch above the soil and they will grow back.

Comments (14)

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

I still haven't checked mine. Thanks for the update. I might try some out over Thanksgiving.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Boy, these snow peas are tough! They're stalled in growth but haven't winced at the freezes. For some reason, the wild rabbits haven't gotten into them.

• johnnycoleman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yup, they seem to like cold. Mine are growing inside my house by a South window. I eat them raw. If harvested about one inch above the soil, they will grow back.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Nice! They grow back. Love that. Maybe the bunnies have eaten them, I just don't realize it.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

There's a reason they call them snow peas. (grin)

I was cleaning out and reorganizing my seed box yesterday and came across the sugar snap pea seeds. I had a strong urge to run out and plant some but I didn't. I might sow some in the greenhouse this weekend. The lettuce in there is growing great.

• johnnycoleman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My favorite lettuce is English Butter Crunch. YUM!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

I don't necessarily have a favorite lettuce. I like whatever we're eating at the time, but I love Drunken Woman because of its name and I love Sea of Red because of its unique leaf shape (sort of sword shaped) and very dark color.

Normally, I sow seed of several mesclun mixes so that we have a wide variety of lettuces. I tend to sow far too much, often using it as an early living mulch beneath tomato plants. We have a few dozen chickens, so most days in late winter through late spring, I cut a bunch of fresh lettuce for them because I grow more than we ever could eat. Our chickens are spoiled.

• johnnycoleman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have been focused on refining my cornbread skills lately. I have been making my own cornmeal from dried dent corn. I finally understand how to make corn sticks.
    I was just sitting here reading about the health benefits of corn meal. It feels good to have a full belly AND know it is healthy food.
    I had Schwabs Bratwurst, cornbread and pea shoots. yum!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Yummy!

Not only is corn a great food, but corn gluten meal can be used as a pre-emergent herbicide and as a fertilizer. I've used it as both, occasionally, since the 1990s. Some people have had success using corn juice (water with corn meal added to it) as a soak to clear up skin fungal infections, like athlete's foot for example. In this country, we often tend to look for synthetic or chemical solutions to problems when sometimes there is a great natural solution available as well. The Dirt Doctor, J. Howard Garrett, has written and talked about the uses of corn gluten meal and corn meal in landscapes and gardens for many years, and the folks that have the website, The People's Pharmacy, discuss the use of corn meal as an antifungal as well.

• sand_mueller
    9 years ago

The snow peas growing on strings in the greenhouse are just reaching 5' tall and starting to bloom.

• johnnycoleman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sand_mueller,

Good food for mid winter.

Johnny

• sand_mueller
    9 years ago

I'm in Tahlequah and can't remember a longer period without sunshine. correspondingly, I cannot remember ever (over 40 years now) my plants going so long without wanting water; Both inside the house and in greenhouse. Old photo by the way but not too different now. I haven't needed to heat the gh, because night temps are above freezing, so at least am saving firewood.

• johnnycoleman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sand_mueller

I an thinking about building an underground green house. I am convinced they make good sense.

See below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pit greenhouse

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Sand, that greenhouse is SO beautiful!

I share your sentiment for useful underground green houses. Won't happen where we are even with sump pumps. :(