Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quercus fusiformis acorns

Posted by cliff98 z6 OH (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 14:19

Hi Everyone,
I've been hunting for Quercus fusiformis seedlings or acorns for quite some time. I have only found of 2 mail order nurseries that have carried this oak and both do not have any available. My goal is to see if this oak species can survive in one of the most mild parts of Ohio, a borderline 6b zone. I think there is potential.
I would like to know if anyone has access to Quercus fusiformis acorns and would be willing to mail them to me for the cost of shipping and any charges associated with the collection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quercus fusiformis acorns

cliff98,
I will have access to hundreds of these acorns around the middle of December. Source is in the hill country of Texas: Blanco, TX specifically.
I do not know if they will survive Ohio. I have not tried to grow them here, in OKC. Maybe I will try this year.
How many acorns would you like?

o

I would think your biggest challenge would be moisture. Isn't Ohio quite a bit more moist than Texas or Oklahoma? My little Texas trees seem to like it dry.

o

I have some in the tree farm- but when I checked today there were not a lot of acorns yet. I'll continue to monitor throughout the next few weeks!

o

luvabasil - Thank you for the offer. If it is possible to send 20 or so acorns, that would be tremendous! If you send me and email at jakek920atyahoodotcom I'll send you my address and I can get payment instructions.

trees4ok - Thank you for checking. I really appreciate it a lot!

The more acorns the merrier!

While Cincinnati is wetter than most areas of Texas and Oklahoma, I think Q. fusiformis stands the best chance for being the evergreen/semi-evergreen oak species. Q. nigra will hold its leaves till mid-November, but eventually goes fully deciduous. Q. hemisphaerica is another option that hopefully I can try very soon. As far as cold tolerance is concerned, this area can drop below zero degrees on just about any given year. The recent trend for this area is 6b/7a/7b depending on the microclimate, but long term it is a 6a/6b area. I think it is still worth a try.

o

It is definitely worth the try!

o

Finders fee for acorns!!!!

Any updates my Oklahoma Brethren?

Happy Holidays!
Jake aka Cliff98

o

Jake,

Good news! While out in the tree farm today I was able to gather about 20/25 acorns!

Will you message me your info so I can send them on their way to you?

o

Bad news (at least for now) on my side: When we went to Blanco, the acorns were eaten. Seriously. And all on my neighbors acreage as well. We are planning another trip soon, so we will keep our eyes open.

o

Luvabasil - Thank for the update. That's too bad about the acorn crop. On your next trip, if you do find any, please let me know. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here