Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dawn...about that apple.........

Posted by telow 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 22, 12 at 14:56

Dawn, I don't pretend to know i/10th of what you know but I can speak from experience about one thing....the Sundance apple. At the place I lived before I had a Sundance apple tree not 50ft. from 2 large cedar trees and probably 150ft. from a host of others of all sizes. Some years the orange jelly just covered them but the Sundance just kept on producing the most delicious apples i've ever tasted.Google the Sundance apple and check out the information from PERDUE university. It might change your mind. I don't mean to imply that the leaves were pristine but from 60ft. away the tree still looked green and I never sprayed it Iguess because it always had apples anyway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dawn...about that apple.........

Terry,

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. We have hundreds of cedar trees on the acreage on three sides of our property and in general we are surrounded by miles and miles of cedar trees, so I have serious doubts that even a cedar rust-resistant variety would do well here. On some of the property near us, the cedars are about as thick as grass. On the other hand, I'd really love to be able to make apple pie jam, applesauce and apple pie filling from our own apples.

My friend who grows apples about a half-mile from us is in his own sheltered little valley and never has cedar apple rust, so who knows? Maybe I might get as lucky as he has been with his trees. I asked him what kind he grew and he just said "pie apple". He does have to play a radio at night to keep the deer away from the trees. The deer jump the fence and get into the veggie garden, but they don't touch his apple trees.

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here