Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Lettuce and Spinach

chickencoupe
10 years ago

I'm attempting to figure out why these two fail for me.

I think the easy way to describe their environment: It's (in a planter) where my carrots grew last year unaided by me. The carrots thrived. Same climate. Same type soil. At least 6" deep.

Does not get direct afternoon sun. Since the carrots did okay, I am ASSUMING the lettuce and spinach will be okay with the amount of sun in this spot.

The OSU Spring Planting Guide suggests planting lettuce, spinach (and carrots) February 15 to March 10

I planted my lettuce and spinach at the same time as the carrots last year. (I think it was early March. I failed to write that down.)

Perhaps the leafy veggies didn't get enough water? Do they require more water than carrots? (I was surprised the carrots did so well, because I neglected them. We did receive good rainfall. The lettuce and the spinach would have received the same amount.)

I've tried twice and used different varieties of seeds in the same planter, so I don't know if it is the variety I am planting. The first attempt was in the new planter, so I assumed the soil wasn't quite ready. I don't know the pH of this soil.

What other factors can I consider that might have hindered their growth? (i've tried to grow about 5 different varieties intermixed)

The lettuce did grow to about 2". It didn't grow fast enough and few germinated.

I'm inclined to think my seed for lettuce was too old?

I have a cold frame located on the south side of the house. I've yet to fill it with soil. I could start a compost pile in it and toss in some garden soil right now. Would that be a better route for growing leafy veggies?

Comments (6)

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow. Thinking further, it could be a number of things.

I'll try again and also plant in some different locations and soils as well as the cold frame. Something ought to work!

• Dale Putnam
    10 years ago

i have 3 cold frames on the South side of my house. I grow lettuce, Simpson, Arugula, Lolla Rossa, and Bibb. There are many more to choose from. We like the idea of being able to walk outdoors 10 steps to pick fresh greens, for salads & sandwiches, all during Dec, Jan, Feb, & March.The plants stay alive very well, BUT, sometimes during the winter warm days, the temperature inside the cold frame, can reach 100 f by noon, which will cook the plants. Buy a $3 thermometer at Home Depot or Lowes and use it.
    Dale

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm thinking that sounds best, dale. I need to keep trying until I get the hang of it. I have grown arugula in that very spot, though. It grew well. I'm still thinking my lettuce seed was to old.

Guide to Germinating Lettuce Seeds

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

If your carrots and arugula did fine, it well could be that your lettuce seed was too old. Just because seed will germinate and a seedling emerge doesn't mean that the seedling is strong enough to grow well. And yes, lettuce does take more water than carrots. Also needs a bit more nitrogen. Both do better in slightly alkaline soil. And if you didn't renew the soil after the carrots, it could be that the nutrients in the container were depleted. You might try adding some compost between crops.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. I didn't know those things, especially about weak seed. This fall was the first time I added compost.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My how things change! I've abandoned the cold frame to have the soil worked and amended, but I grew bodacious iceburg and romaine lettuce in the big planter, a new planter. They were gorgeous. And with the weather and moisture we've had I gave up on them bolting and tossed them into the rabbit hutches. They were all about 18" high. I couldn't help but notice the white juice that bled from the stalks that were torn. How nutritious! When the rabbits saw me coming with these they would jump and pounce on the side of the cage and use their teeth to swing the cage doors open.

But we didn't like the flavor.. especially the kids. Even when young and tender they seemed too bitter and too aromatic. I think I have many different varieties on hand. I've always had trouble establishing meslin mix and wanted to establish that so I can try the differences.

I'm assuming the cool weather creates a sweeter lettuce. Hope so.